How to do proper engine vac ? Time someone let all of us kno

Hey guys I worked in a shop for coop about 2 years ago and we used some stuff and burned it trhough the intake and let the car sit for 24 horus and than cleaned it out using some other stuff, this was supposed to be the ‘real’ way to do engine vac that cleans it all out, does anyone know the exact steps and substances used in this process? I want to clean out my engine after its been beat this drifting season, please let me know, thanks.

so noone knows huh

You don’t want your motor to be too clean…

Generally I would just use some TB cleaner and shoot it down the intake
while keeping the motor revved a little (to prevent it from choking).

You can always try Seafoam and shit if you can afford it and have the
resources to acquire it. :dunno:

sounds liek a plan, what is seafoam ?

Reallly expencive engine cleaner, But if u want your engine spotless inside (not always a good thing) Its the thing to do, adn Btw i think you can only get it in the states.

is there a need to clean it up inside though ? im sure alot of stuff is covered in carbon and shit, otherwise why do shops offer engine vac

Uhhh… Seafoam is not expensive and it’s not only available in the States, you can buy it here. It’s $18 a bottle and CarQuest sells it. Just used it in my Altima. Here are some pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/GT-101/AltimaSeafoam1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/GT-101/AltimaSeafoam2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/GT-101/ICAM0013.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/GT-101/AltimaSeafoam3.jpg

And you only poured that in the oil?? If so i underestimated how powerfull that sh!t is. I just hope u did a oil change after lol…I was told to pour a bottle in the oil and a bottle in the tank and run the sh!t out of the car for a day or two then slowly pour it in the brake booster line and/or valve breather hose while reving it…then change fluids. Now whats the diffrence between putting it in the oil and the valve breather hose??? they both eventually end up in the same place dont they?..Or the only other way i see it as is that threw the breather hose it gets dumped right onto the rockers and cam etc. Going this way is the full 9 yards im sure that would make ur engine spotless and open every crack and ruin your car. ill use one bottle for everything :dunno:
-Devin

No, I poured 1/3 in the crank case, 1/3 into the vac line, and 1/3 into the gas tank. The white smoke only appears when you put it through the vacuum line. By putting it into the crank I saw nothing. And yes I did do an oil change after. BTW: I didn’t pour it into the booster line, I just let it suck it itself, poured it into a glass, get a straw and it suks it up. And like you said, you have to have two people as one has to hold the revs steady cuz the car will struggle a bit, while the other feeds the vac line the seafoam. alesserfate search around, I think NICOclub has the info. There are a lot of write ups on Sea Foam. I don’t think anyone had a problem with it. Good luck!

when you say you poured it into the vac line what do you mean by that… where is it located where you pour it?

thanks alot gt 101 now i have an idea of how this all works, sounds like a mission over the winter holiday.

Vlad get off SON and get back to work. I know you’re still in school :lol:

id be interested in knowing which line it is you had the seafoam going threw when you say vac line. wheres this line located under the hood whers it run to and from what does it come from. Thanks
-Devin

The vaccum system in your car is pretty much shared by everything (ie one source)

Typically people use the biggest vacuum line which is on the brake booster.

Because it’s a vacuum source, the engine will suck it in, you don’t need to pour it. Like mentioned above, just stick the vacuum line in a glass full of the cleaner.

In the “old days” we used to just dump power steering fluid down the carb with the throttle wide open. Then go smoke out the town.

Great to clean your valvetrain, but without a carb, it’s a bit tough to do :wink:

If you’re still running the SRs stock intake setup (breather into the intake piping) you’re definitely going to want to clean your TB.

Like I mentioned check NICO, they got full write ups with pics. But here’s the booster/vac line:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerofile/17164/brakeboostervacuumline2.JPG

BTW: alesserfate it took me under an hour including oil change, it’s not that long of a job, but good luck.

yeah, but i like to be careful the first time always =) thanks for all the info man greatlly appreciated

in attempt to gain the same effect as sea foam you can try this:

-let some engine flush run (or little kerosene) in your motor before you change your oil and filter.

-spray some carb cleaner through your throttle body, or look for a product called “engine revive” sold at canadian tire which claims to cure much of what sea foam does to your combustion chambers.

Just some alternate ideas… A proper motor vac would be having a shop run a concentrated cleaner through the fuel system for some time with their machine for a specified time.