How to get rid of rust?

Being sixteen and a 240 noob, i dont know as much as i would like to as i fix up my car.
I got a fair bit of rust on my hatch where my spoiler was. So basically im looking for a good guide I can use to get rid of it.

or

would you suggest getting a used hatch off someone. if I did do this, how much would it cost to get painted. (Nothing fancy, im smart enough to know that ricing it up is not the path that i want to follow)

To fix rust

1. Cut rust spots out
  2. Weld in new metal
  3. Profit

Or since I see your from the ottawa area head over to neo240sx and go buy a rustless one.

Yeah you can cut it out and get medal and do body work …or buy a whole new hatch…its up to you…those are about all your options.

http://www.carbon-creations.com/shopexd.asp?id=4913

If you feel like going all out.

leave em there, speed holes. make ur car go faster.

hmmmm… speed holes, I should look into that.

so anyhoo how much do you think painting a hatch will cost me?

well lets seee

sand paper - 5 bucks
primer - 6.99
rattle can paint - 15.20
fucking up ur first paint job… priceless

lol not to expencive just make sure u get the right paint.

^haha what an ass, that was funny though :stuck_out_tongue:

I just fixed some rust I found, sanded it down and primed it nicely. Cheap. I will definitely sandblast the whole chassis when the time comes… nothing replaces sandblasting and cutting and welding new metal (aside from of course acid baths and the crazy things like that).

acid dip ur car done deal :slight_smile:

Sell your rust bucket, go to the southern US and import a MINT, corrosion/rust free car and never have to deal with rust again. Either that of find one from out west.
Thats my solution for getting rid of rust.

IF that is not an option then take it to a good body shop and have it done right, my experience with DIY rust fixes is that the rust comes back every time.

//\ funny that. I had a 240 from the southern states and it was just as bad as a Canadian car…

I will be going up to Ottawa next May (2008) what is the price ranges for these 240sx’s at Neo240sx?

iin all honesty, b4 i parked my car(stupid headgasket) i poured coke(the drink kind) over the rust spots(sturt tower and a spot the size of a nickle on my rear quater panel) and it ate the rust and provided a nice coating to protect it, it sat all winter in a snow bank, completely covered, all i could see was the antena!!, this year, the rust on the quater pannel is down to the metal and shiney clean! think of what it does to your stomach!!! if u pay more then 3000 for a stock 240, ur paying to much. 1250 for mine, no rust(besides lil bit on what i said), power everything, stick, stereo(2 12’s), saftied.

anybody else confirm this coke method of eating rust on the car?

Ye, I use Coke Cola Classic on my bike chains. Its a great rust eater.

it’s not something that will happen instantly, but over time and after a few times of doing it, it does work. if your sink is plugged, usually a bottle of coke will unplug it. everytime u buy a coke at the store, put a lil on ur rush, in a week or less, it should be clean. my car sat all winter and it was clean. do it 3 times a week and it’ll go faster. there probably is better stuff out there at CT or other car parts stores, but as a cheap alternative, it does work. put a rusty nail in a coke bottle.

for about 120.00 you can go to megacity or local junk yards and get another hatch. i suggest u just cut and rewire the hatch wires instead of diggin the cable down the passenger side of it.
also watch out for the rear defrost cable on the other side. poses a big problem to a few people i know.

I agree, when i first bought my 240, my hatch had the stock spoiler, and it was rusting. So I got one from a scrapper for about 100. My car is black, the hatch was silver, so after driving around with it for a while, I decided to resprayed the hatch in my garage. It worked out fine.

i use it to clean oil stains off my floor. :slight_smile: