How-to: Installing 6.5" speakers in front doors

I should’ve done this a while ago but I dunno why. Anywho, I’ve written
a decent how-to, with lots of pictures on how to go about installing 6.5"
speakers in the front doors of S13s. The stock S13 comes with 4x6
speakers.

http://240sx.cubicdesign.com/picpage7.php

Do you think i could use the same idea to fit 6x9s in there?

I dont think they will fit. I’ve done the same install as G, and there just isnt enough room. Even if you could cut away enough metal, you would have to modify the doorskin, and most 6x9s are too deep and they will hit the window glass when it is rolled down.

Dtown240 has done it though… I believe his are mounted to the doorskin itself.

Just stick with the 6.5s. No modification to the door skin is needed and as a bonus, the OE speaker grill will hide the speaker so potential thieves aren’t as likely to notice it.

Seriously, how much of a theatre do you want inside your car?

Call me cheap but I got my stuff from eBay (Infinity components and 2
ways). Saved a tonne, and it sounds a hell of a lot better then stock.

Nothing wrong with going big, but if you can handle the hassle involved,
go for it. Doing these 6.5" were kind of a bitch as it is (considering it was
the first time doing it).

If you want 6x9, place them in the rear. But I guess if you have a sub it
will most likely be drowned out by the sub pounding.

Good luck. If you do 6x9, post up some pics. :slight_smile:

May i ask how much u paid for that set, im considering just selling the 6x9s and doing the same as you… i have 2 JL audio 12’s in the hatch, and 2 JL audio 6.5s in the rear, and id like to do the same as you in the front… how does it sound???
model #'s?

im running 4by6" infinity all around…and TRUST ME ITS CLEAR AND LOUD…im running them off a Sony 4 ch amp…and IT DOES THE JOB, you dont need 6.5"…4by6" work just dandy!! i was skeptical about upgrading my stock to another pair of 4by6 but it sound real nice!!!

I have 6.5 component set like Gonad (Kenwood excelon).

Don’t go 6x9, that’s for people without subs. My 6.5 runs with high pass filter anyway.

Go with 4x6 (the infinity speaker plates with 4’ driver and 1’ tweeter are awesome) or 6.5

Too bad you’re a not a good writer…

Just a pet peeve . :smiley:

Too bad you’re a not a good writer…

Just a pet peeve . :D[/quote]

Who’s not a good writer? :owned:

Seriously, if you listen to music a lot, and don’t want to spend on an amp
or sub, at least invest some $ on some good front and rear stage
speakers. It’s a hell of a lot better then the stock 5W or whatever power they are.

Mosts decks don’t even have the power output to properly drive 6x9’s.

6x9’s are useless unless you’re driving them off a seperate amp.

Don’t even run rear speakers. It’s a waste in our cars.

How do you figure?

How do you figure?[/quote]

Well:

1. With a set of 6.5 components the staging is acutally pretty good with the car.
  2. You can spend 2x the amount of money on a much better set of front speakers then spending money on all 4
  3. You can get a better quality 2 channel amp rather then spend the money on a 4 channel, and it will drive the front two with much more power (aka clarity at high volumes).

I guess I should add some qualifiers.

1. This is assuming you are running external amps for your speakers. If you have a stock deck there isn’t much point in just disconnecting the rears.
  2. This is also assuming you are running a small sub (or big subs) for bass. If not, and the speakers you have up front arn’t good at bass reproduction, you may need something like 6x9s back there to get the bass. But I think that is a crappy solution to the problem personally … and if you’re just going to run the same size speakers back there I don’t see the point. Rear fill? Maybe … but turn off your rears and imagine sound 2x as good from the front … I bet it’s worth it.

For me it seems the easiest / cheapest way to get really good sound out of our cars is a:

1. 2 channel amp for 2 front speakers
  2. a small sub tucked in the back with its own amp.
    (crossed over appropriately)

YMMV

YMMV?

If you look at it that way… but I still think you need some mids and
highs coming from the back to give you full clearity of the music.

Your milage may vary.

Well when you see my car I’ll take you for a test listen … you can be your own judge :slight_smile:

lol, nice a test listen :smiley:

hey guys all this talk about the best way for 6.5 install… ill tell ya what i did and it looks sweet!!

Take off the stock cover
make a template from it for the hole
by a piece of plexiglass 8 mm thick “enough for both holes”
cut out the oval
cut out the speaker hole
pain the inside of the plexi glass whatever colour you want i did black… with spray… it looks shiny from the outside because of the glass…
mount the speaker into the hole
use some round hex mounting hardware and put it threw the skin of the door. " harder to steal
to take this out or to hook up the speakers you have to take of the door panel so its not that easy…

let me know if you want pics … but it looks great…

Cheers

Corey

I think it’s basically what I did. Although I didn’t paint it seeing how it was
going to get covered up anywho.

I got pearl autocare to throw in a couple of RF 6.5 components in the doors. They are deep speakers, so they made an MDF mounting plate to clear my window glass. It also beefs up the mounting of the speaker for more ‘punch’. I then put in a kenwood 4channel amp, running in tri mode: two for the fronts, and one for a 12" pioneer sub.

I’m really surprised at how well the sound stage is placed with just those 3 speakers. Everyone who’ve listened to the system have asked where the other speakers are. And I’m like: “Its just those two.”

Here’s some shots of the doors:

http://www.engsoc.org/~jonweir/pics/Post/doorspeaker1.JPG
http://www.engsoc.org/~jonweir/pics/Post/doorspeaker2.JPG
http://www.engsoc.org/~jonweir/pics/Post/doorspeaker3.JPG

I don’t know how much magnet you can fit back there without modifying the door panel.