How to study for GMAT

The other GMAT threads didn’t have the direct info I was looking for.

I received the green light from GM to apply for UB’s PMBA Program. They pay for the majority of it so I’m not passing it up while I’m not married nor have any children (that I know of).

I was going to purchase the Official Guide for GMAT Prep 13th edition, and I have until July first to submit the application. I figure I can study for a month or two then attempt the test in May sometime. If I dont like my score I can try again.

Will the test books and practice exams be enough? Is it worth taking a prep course?? And I’d prefer not to spend 2000$ on a prep course, 500ish wouldn’t be so bad.

Thanks.

I had this book and feel it covered how to take the test and what was on it very well.

I also had an app I paid like $.99 for that was basically flash cards that I would click through when in the bathroom and such.

Biggest thing I would say from experience is just be confident, familiarize yourself with how the test works but don’t go crazy. I say this because the first time I took it I studied like mad and really just got wayyyy too crazy and anxious with it. At the test I just couldn’t focus, thought I was going to puke and really it was pitiful. Got a 540 :frowning:

I decided to take it again like 6 months later and studied for all of 2-3hrs a few days before. 660, which is pretty good being as I’m not that smart.

I will check that book out thanks!

What type of score do you need for UB?
I went through a study book, took a couple practice test on a computer so I was used to the format, then did just fine. But I agree don’t hype yourself up. It is a test built to be the hardest test you will probably ever take since the questions get harder as you get them right.

Google say avg is 620.

I took a $600 prep course for it, it was worth it IMO. I didn’t end up taking the test though, went the EMBA route instead where it’s not required.

I would definitely hit up some news groups or torrent sites and see what’s out there.

GMAT moreso than other tests is an either you get it mentally or you don’t type. You can use prep stuff to familiarize you with how the test works, type of questions, and the scoring, like how the beginning counts more, but beyond that it’s mostly between your ears

Well I checked out CougarSpeed’s book and it had OK reviews, I decided to go with the Official GMAT Study Guide which did very well with reviews, picked it up last night at Barnes and Noble. Let the studying begin!!!

I went the prep book/software combo and had great success.

What I think made a huge difference for me was to run through several practice tests as if they were the real thing (time limitations and doing it in one shot).

Even if you can answer a bunch of questions cold, time management is a critical element and having the practice sessions against the clock will give you a significant advantage. For example; you might find a certain type of question that trips you up. The guides will recommend that you recognize and skip those on the first pass so as to not eat up time. Good luck!

Test changed formats last year, can’t skip questions anymore. Plus IIRC there’s 2 essays now instead of one.

Fucking essays WTF! I thought you get your score immediately? How fast do they grade these essays

No clue. I’m just forwarding info from the Prep Class I took about 18 months ago.

You do get the grade. Essays are looked at and get a grade(cant remember it was years ago) but it is up to the school to view/request the essays IIRC.

Also the essays were first and I actually enjoyed the opportunity to get the brain juices flowing.

Anyone have access to free past exams??

Pay for a prep course - it’s your future, it’s worth it.

I don’t think I prepared at all. Maybe did a practice exam the night before or something? I forget. I didn’t do much, but it wasn’t nothing. Do they give you any material when you sign up? Maybe that’s what I did. I don’t think I bought anything. Scored like a 620 or something?

I did really well on the verbal section but the math section actually tripped me up. They ask you to do a lot of shit by hand from high school that if you’re an engineer you forgot in order to make room for more advanced shit. Don’t be arrogant about the math because you’re an engineer. That’s what I did and it bit me.

Good luck. Don’t worry too much. UB’s PMBA program looks at everything. Work history, personal motivation statement, letters of recommendation, etc.

I’m taking it in May and if I can at least pull off a 600, I won’t retake it. If I can’t do that I’ll take a prep course and retake it before application deadline of July 1st.

So far I’ve bought a few books and I’ve been sitting in the Capen Library 2 hours a day studying.

Before I started studying I took a diagnostics test from the book to see where I place, 12/24 correct for Quantitative, 8/15 Problem Solving (2 Machines etc…), 12/20 Verbal, 5/15 Analytical. According to the score guide, avg, avg, avg, below avg. I was happy I was at least mostly avg for shit I haven’t seen

since I was 15. The hardest part of the verbal and analytical thinking were the topics. Stuff about dinosaur bones and the development of maps really made me lose interest. A couple about civil rights and WWII strategy were very interesting and as I thought I scored well on those two compared

to the boring ass stuff.

Since studying a couple weeks I’ve grasped concepts much better, and am starting to feel confident.

From everything ive looked at, I would agree with you (although I havent taken it myself). I hear its most similar to the SATs and from what I remember of the SATs, its basically the educated mans IQ test. If youre smart youll score well, if youre not you can gain an edge by learning all the little tips and tricks but youll only max out so high. That said, can never hurt to pick up more points wherever you can if you have the time.

I wonder how their PMBA compares with an EMBA program.