How to tell if axle is bent?

ok so here it goes and may be my only hope.The vibration is still here and my pinion angle is dead on,u joints are good.yadda yadda.So my brotherinlaw tells me the other day that last year when i lowered my truck at his house he need the jack and thought my rear axle was on stands,it wasnt,so the rear of the truck landed on the axle wich was about a foot drop at least.The whole truck land on the axle that landed on the ground.Is that a far enough drop to do that,cause i did noticed the center of the wheel look like they are wobbly even with them off.

it dont take a ton to bend it but the flange itself could be ,wit the axle out roll it on a straight surface and look for high and low spots in the tube …then use a level on the flange and see where that is at

Ok i will do that soon.

Advance Auto axles lifetime warranty FTW!

have ya checked the rims for bends?balance ?there is a lot that can cause vib .does it shake the steering wheel .or the all but the wheel

not a rear axle …its solid no c/v junk there

ahhhh that sucks!

have ya checked the rims for bends?balance ?there is a lot that can cause vib .does it shake the steering wheel .or the all but the wheel

Steering wheel is straight as an arrow.Had them roadforced balanced with 2 sets of rims and same results with the whole bed shaking,my wifey said that sitting in the passanger seat made her nauseaus after a 4 hour ride.also noticed the driver side vibrates at 70 when the right rear looks like it is bouncing up and down from something that is bent.

Didn’t you tell me the vibrations stop after 59mph?

are the rims hub centric or is there a spacer that needs to be there for trueness

Mikey’s are hub centric.

good call… i never thought about that…

my rear axle isn’t solid, I have an IRS :ahh

well if the rear tires are bouncin and not true either the wheels are loose which i doubt they are or the hub or flange is bent and that means new axle …in all honesty i would bring it to a shop and get it looked at ,no im not sayin mine but we can do it just not right away as were slammed

Is the driveshaft balanced as well? You’d be amazed how much vibration can result from an unbalance propshaft.

mikey if your going to bring it somewhere slowmarro’s shop is right off exit 10 so it should be a short trip over to his shop

but adam make a good point… i know gm has a bulletin out for lifted trucks to change out the drive shafts to a different design, might be the same way for a lowered one… which is why you never noticed it until you lowered it

if it doesn’t have one of these it’s bent:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_7gP8To3oCCU/SgS2eVYCnpI/AAAAAAAABGY/1p9Qml9A7rI/s800/DSC02304.JPG

but seriously… definitely sounds like your issue is confined to the rear of the truck. pull the axles out and have a look, only takes a second.

I have got to get this to a shop and fixed hopefully before memorial weekend.

Mikey B is the man!

Mikey B is the man!

Hahaha.Thanks bro.

Also who around does the driveshaft balancing as these newer gm ds are only balanced to 85 mph.