Hurricaine Victims - RANT

It’s great to help out other people, but people who live in areas that are prone to certain things need to consider that before moving there. I would not build a house or move into a house right next to a creek known to flood and then whine about everyone not giving me money when I got flooded.

Everyone knows these towns right on the gulf are below sea level and get hurricanes a couple times/year. Common sense tells you to either build a house on 50 foot high stilts or don’t move there. I do not understand why people can’t figure that out.

take hays for example… you paid 5,000 for a house and complain when it floods…well you ONLY PAID 5000 for the HOUSE!!! its not like you lost a 500,000 manison. you took the risk buying a house next to a creek that floods and your reward was the cost.

or better yet… people in cali continue to build on hillsides because of the beautiful scenery and bitch when a hill slides takes their shit out… you choose location over stability and you got burnt…i can’t feel sorry for that.

I agree with both of you on your points. I think its common sense to that if you live on a flood plain that it might flood or if you live on the coast, a hurricane might hit you.

I think our society is truly the essence of the phrase “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”. However, I do not think that just don’t live in these areas is a very practical solution.

every one of these situations isnt black n white. New Orleans was a failure because of state and local officials but the media and residents were complaing about the president. these victims are always blaming the wrong people because of the way media has swayed the thought process of citizens.

agreed.

rarely did you see the troops pouring in w/ aid…or not once did you see an interview with the people giving up their homes/businesses for these people. the media showed the robbing of store fronts for tvs and sterios that they couldnt use! And showed that this is what happens when you lose everything…

um yeah…and you deserve $ why? you just stole everything you needed.

Just throwing this out there. I don’t think people outside of the paths of hurricanes really know what its like. I thought that florida got hit every year with bad hurricanes. We don’t get terribly bad hurricanes every year. I don’t think we had a single one last year. So far we’ve only gotten 1 bad hurricane and it was mainly just flooding.Its been about a month since then and the lakes and smaller bodies of water are still flooded. Thats a long time to up and move and find somewhere else to stay esp. if your living pay check to pay check or have very little money saved up.

Even if people up and leave for the main storm when they come back they might not have anything. I think they were saying parts that got hit bad won’t have power for 2 weeks. When you did come back there’s a pretty good chance that when you come back your either not going to have a roof, your house is going to be flattened or its flooded.

True I don’t feel bad for the people that didn’t get out but maybe they did have a good reason for not leaving.

I’d rather take hurricanes over snow storms anyday though. Although I haven’t been thru a terrible one like they did in 95.

That was probably all over the board sorry.

we have winds/floods from the remaining hurricanes. we should move too.

In the end, better to help out fellow americans, than people in 3rd world countries that gets triple the support from us.

Salvation army great place to donate.

we also live in a tornado prone area. snow is great, but also causes flooding due to our wacky warm up days.

No where in america is safe from natural disasters. all this bitching is dumb.

you would rather have a hurricane destroy your house than have some snow fall?

we also live in a tornado prone area. snow is great, but also causes flooding due to our wacky warm up days.

No where in america is safe from natural disasters. all this bitching is dumb.

I started a small business in sept 2003. Around a week shy of my 1 year annaversiry it was practically destroyed in the Carnegie flood. Believe me you don’t get much more broke than trying to start a hot rod shop from scratch in pittsburgh. We where not warned of the impending doom. I never really appriciated how the fuck somone can get caught in a flood. The water doesn’t come up in a wall, it comes up inch by inch. A friend and myself were scrambling to get anything we could out of the water and before we knew it the water was past our waists. When we went to leave the water was channeling past our building very swiftly. If we didn’t leave when we finally decided to then there is a chance we would have been stuck, and there is really no way to get to our roof. The following day the water had already subsided and I had pretty much made up my mind that I was going to be looking for a job. The president came and toured the area, and the red cross set up shop at the police station. I was given a free tetnis shot and a penut butter and jelly sandwich. The following month I worked my ass off to try and clean things up. I did get alot of help from friends. I lost close to 15lbs. I never had my hand out for anything. I have absolutely no respect for anyone that has any complaint about not recieving government help. The katrina loosers that got a gov. debit card wasted that money. There where towns in mississippi that got destroyed as well but you don’t hear about them cause those people went back in and kept their heads down till their town was clean.

A huge part of the problem is that we become so complacent. Never really thinking that the weather still owns us.

I was in North Carolina in 95 when Fran hit. Early in the morning, my wife just had our youngest son, so they were at the hospital on Fort Bragg. Around 1800 I left and stopped by the grocery store. Just bought $250 dollars worth of food. Power was out by 2100. None of it even had a chance to freeze. Goats, horses, and pigs, were running around the trailer park. I cooked steak and eggs for breakfast on the grill.

The entire community and the military base pull together and everyone cleans everything up. We were without power for about a week. Each year after that, hurricane tracking got better. A great many people took advantage of an emergency food stamp program that was put in place. I know of at least 15 soldiers that got in serious trouble and had to pay the money back plus serve community service for taking advantage of the system.

So much of it goes back to our current work ethic, everyone’s sense of entitlement, and the convenience store attitude. Not everyone is like that, waiting for a handout, or expecting someone else to pay for damages.

As far as cleanup goes, the people that live there have absolutely nothing better to do. because everything shuts down. Don’t wait for help, get a shovel, get a saw, ang go get busy.

charleston got hit hard back in the 90’s with hugo and andrew…you didnt hear those people bitching like katrina and ike…

you are right thou… mothernature owns us… algore would like you to think man has such a profound effect…his ignorance is amazing!

I was at Bragg in 92 when Andrew hit, and about 3/4 of the 82nd Airborne Division went to Florida to clean up and perform relief operations.

Pewter and I stayed in gulfport, it was hit hard like norleans suburbs.mostly flooding and wind damage. Buildings survived.

Waveland mississippi was obliterated. wiped off the map, not until this year i heard anything about it. only thing to witness a house was there the concrete pad.

this was waveland

:stupid:

Fuck Africa.

http://www.tremek.com/gallery/data/500/00012268.jpg

True story. Hundreds of commercials to help fund AIDS in Africa. How about a little celebrity support in the USofA? I mean if they wanna help so much.

why ??? the kids are healthy since the usa healthcare is so great!