Hurricane Irene

looks like NYC could get hit quite hard.

The MTA is shutting down ALL subway, rail, buses, etc. tomorrow at noon. www.mta.info

That’s a huge deal.

And who knew the pumps that keep the subway dry are almost 100 years old… some purchased 2nd hand from the Panama Canal builders in 1914 :eek:

Western NY in the mean time will have perfect weather this weekend :tup:

We’re bracing for it here in NC, but it looks like it’ll stay mainly east of Raleigh. We’ll be getting strong winds and rain.

The storm surges are looking REALLY intense. Flooding is probably going to be really bad with this one.

If anyone is interested, there is a surf cam out at Wrightsville beach that is still clear. Register free and you can watch the live stream.

http://www.wblivesurf.com/index.asp

They have live cams at 3 different NC Coastal surf spots.

here is emerald isle cam http://www.eilivesurf.com/livecams.asp

here is atlantic beach http://www.ablivesurf.com/

FYI, Atlantic is closest to Morehead, where they are expecting the hurricane to come on land…Hopefully you can still see some shit when it gets hairy.

Should be interesting to see if any data centers blow up.

I know me and a bunch of other network engineers are on stand by encase anything goes to hell

yep, i have an update call at 4pm, but I am expecting that i’ll have to be on-site all day tomorrow…even though we probably won’t get anything even remotely bad in raleigh

A lot of our clients down the shore line are bunkered in, but all their data r belong to me. Here in blo

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

404: webcam feed cannot find the server

Yeah my parents are directly on the innercoast in NC. They’re expecting the worst right now.

webcams are working for me

Pretty much all of Jersey City/Hoboken is under severe flood warnings. We’ve stocked up on propane, grillable food, beer, and hard liquor. I think we forgot water though, oops!

When did they upgrade it to category 5?

hurricane parties are the best. fuck evacuating.

lol morehead

This is my dad we’re talking about. He always expects the worst but hopes for the best.

In this case, you can almost completely ignore the category. Wind speed doesn’t really mean a whole lot with a storm like this.

The water surge levels will be very bad…I would expect a LOT of flooding.

Lets also not forget that wind speeds are still OVER 100mph with a Cat 2 storm…This thing is a beast.

As reference, Hurricane Katrina was a Category 3…

His father is correct to prepare for the worst.

Or the fact NYC and surrounding areas don’t usually get it with hurricanes

And the fact that NYC is only a few feet above sea level, with much of it’s infrastructure BELOW sea level.

I’m ok.

bad bad news…

It’s already down to a 2 and should be down to a 1 by the time it hits NC, you should be fine. We got some rings of it yesterday when it was a 3 and it was nothing. I’ve been hit by way worse down here

This is going to blow.

^ I see what you did there