Hurricane Katrina

so who else has been watching this?

here is a link
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050828/ap_on_re_us/katrina_the_big_one_1

-quote from article: " With top winds of 165 mph and the power to lift sea level by as much as 28 feet above normal, the storm threatened an environmental disaster of biblical proportions, one that could leave more than 1 million people homeless.
“All indications are that this is absolutely worst-case scenario,” Ivor van Heerden, deputy director of the Louisiana State University Hurricane Center, said Sunday afternoon."

-and another quote:
"Experts have also warned that the ring of high levees around New Orleans, designed to protect the city from floodwaters coming down the Mississippi, will only make things worse in a powerful hurricane. Katrina is expected to push a 28-foot storm surge against the levees. Even if they hold, water will pour over their tops and begin filling the city as if it were a sinking canoe.
After the storm passes, the water will have nowhere to go.

In a few days, van Heerden predicts, emergency management officials are going to be wondering how to handle a giant stagnant pond contaminated with building debris, coffins, sewage and other hazardous materials.

“We’re talking about an incredible environmental disaster,” van Heerden said.

new orleans is in big trouble if that storm continues on track…

glad i dont live there.

woo hoo, plus its coming at Nashville so i will get some of the fun

I like the “how it will affect buffalo” reports on channel 7.

Haha.

In all seriousness though, this is going to be incredibly bad. New Orleans is good as gone with how things are looking to shape up in the few hours as the storm comes in. 25+ foot storm surge and all the rain. Winds of 160MPH with some signs of stregthening before it actually hits shore.

We’re talking about a MAJOR port city that is below sea level, and built on a swampland, not designed to withhold a direct hit of a major hurricane, about to be hit by one of the strongest storms ever to make landfall.

Could really damage the countries economy too.

It’s definately horrible yet fascinating too.

everyone better run out and get gas now. if the refineries are damaged, gas prices will soar

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20050828/capt.la10108282217.gas_prices_la101.jpg?

new orleans is sinking and i dont wanna swim…

damn, praying for everyone down there (even though most everyone should be evacuated). tis gonna be very interesting to see how it plays out.

I’m watching NBC right now… there are a lot of people staying around for the storm… planning to wait it out, either because they can’t get out, or don’t have the money to.
people in florida are shakin’ their heads… " don’t dooooo thaaaat…"

there are some in shrimp boats. oh boy, that sounds a little unwise when I hear that there are going to be 20 ft storm surges. things are gonna be pretty scary by sunrise.

I do like the name tho… pretty appropriate. cuz who knows a katrina who’s not an evil snotty witch? ;c )

shrimp boats…have u been watching Forrest Gump…in all seriousness…its gonna be bad…i hope everyone remaining in the city has found somewhere safe to wait it out

werd… they are already talking about a $0.30/gal - $0.40/gal increase. To look on the bright side of things though. Premium Gas used to be ~15% more then Regular… now it’s less then 2% additional cost. :bloated:

ive been watching about it on tv all morning. shits pretty scary

This is not a natural disaster…our worst fears have finally been realised

the terrorists have a weather machine

-Cheater-

the hurricane tore off a piece of the superdomes roof

jesus…bad idea packing people in their.

The funny thing is FOX news says Superdome roof torn off, MSN has video of just a tear.

FOX news had a guy on the phone saying the pumps can handle 2" per 1st hour rain fall then 1" per hour after, then they turn around and say pumps only can handle 2" water period.

the news always makes this shit more then a big deal then it really is. I knew it’s not as bas as they were saying it was. I’m sure that t here was heavy damage but not as much as the news was claming.

I knew my kid sister was destructive but I had no idea, I swear.

Does that guy relize electric Golf Carts dont need gas?

crazy.

too much drama.

Just facts would be nice.

some golf carts run on gas