I-35W Minneapolis bridge collapses

wow amazing that more people didn’t get hurt than did.

insane

Saw that on the news this morning. That is pretty scary. From what they said, 2 years ago the bridge was analyzed and it was determined to be below the standards for maintenance or something from what I heard.

And the Civil Engineer that assessed that should be given a promotion, and the person that denied maintenance should be taken out and publically stoned in the center of town.

I just love how on the news the army corps said it was a structural failure…well no kidding it was a structural failure.:doh:

x2

And how many bridges in PA have been given the same failing assessment?

I saw a few over I-70 collapse…main over I-70/79 interchange in washpaw and that old one near Kammerer @ the covered bridge crumbled too.

I bet they were assessed just fine…:down:

A couple of those bridges were seriously damage by moronic truck drivers who can’t read the height sign!:eek4dance

word on the street I have heard not to long ago was the I70 bridges in smithton and belle vernon both failed their assessment

If Smithton Hole gets a visit from me, let it be by taking the proper road down to the track and not by bridge collapse! :down:

The one right before i79 south got replaced by a bridge that has like almost 4 stories of clearence if not more. Man that fucked up traffic when they were brigning int he gerters.

I am really surprised the HighLevel never fell apart, that bridge had more rust on it then a late 80s Honda.

LOL!!!

:smiley:

Not suprised. There are a lot of bridges out there that don’t have great assessments unless they are brand new. Pittsburgh will be SOL if they start writing cities up for failed assessments.

I worked in the bridge department at PennDOT one summer and some of the pictures in the reports were disturbing. Especially the Panther Hollow bridge. That was a long time ago though and work has been done since then, but it made me want to avoid that bridge!

It would have sucked if I was walking over that bridge to get drunk at the ol’ Panter Hollow Inn and got a 100 foot drop to my death instead.

holy shit

:eek4dance

Even the 'Oak has some f-ed bridges :bowrofl:

I hope these aren’t being heavily used:

D 33.0 ALLEGHENY PA TURNPIKE(I-76)WB-400 WEST OF WARRENDALE

D 28.5 ALLEGHENY I-79 NB-SB MT NEBO INTERCHANGE

D 34.8 ALLEGHENY GIRTYS RUN NEAR SHALER-ROSS TWP LINE

D 21.0 8 ALLEGHENY PINE CREEK 600’SOUTH OF DUNCAN AVE.

D 2.0 PITTSBURGH ALLEGHENY FORBES AVE LR 120 OVER FORBES AVE

D 13.9 88 PITTSBURGH ALLEGHENY SAW MILL RUN PITTSBURGH @ 51&88

D 17.0 376 MONROEVILLE (CORP. NAME MUNICIPALITY OF MONROEVILLE) ALLEGHENY OLD WILLIAM PENN HIGHWAY OVER OLD WM.PENN HIGHWAY

O 24.1 51 MCKEES ROCKS ALLEGHENY CHARTIERS CREEK PGH-MCKEES ROCKS LINE

It would be nice if they broke down the rankings for each of the factors. “Essentiality for public use” doesn’t sound like a safety measure.

“Sufficiency rating is a value obtained by calculating four separate factors (structural adequacy and safety, serviceability and functional obsolescence, essentiality for public use, and special reductions) that is indicative of a bridge’s sufficiency to remain in service.”