as if the traffic/construction situation couldnt get any worse

PennDOT Plans To Spend Millions To Rehab Bridges
PITTSBURGH (AP) ― The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation plans to spend $175 million to rehabilitate 66 substandard bridges in the greater Pittsburgh area.

PennDOT spokesman Dan Cessna says the agency spent nearly $92 million to replace five bridges, rehab six others and preserve 76 others in the same area this year.

The state-owned bridges getting attention are in Allegheny, Beaver and Lawrence counties.

PennDOT says the spending is meant to reduce a backlog of bridge maintenance and repair in District 11.

About one-third of some 1,800 state-owned bridges in the district are structurally deficient.

have you seen some of the bridges around here?

do you remember what the 31st street bridge used to look like?

i’m not going to bitch.

Construction will never end in this city

yeah…one bridge at a time is ok… several is not!

so the 66 that are sub par take about 8 months to redue on the low side. 44 years later they got those done and not to mention the 300 other bridges that have gone subpar in that time. great idea there bob.

on a side note all the concrete that is used to repair the bridges is pumped down from the bridge or pumped up from below to the piers and that is excellent news for me. :naughty:

Im in altoona. It seems as if they are just cutting holes in 99 and filling them back in, for something to do. Our tax dollars are still hard at work.

I am going to buy one of those amphibous cars that will go on land and water. they have it modeled after the 2000 camaro. only $100k

the roads are so bad around here i bet you can still hit a pot hole while driving on the allegheny or the mon.

Yeah, I would rather deal with some traffic for a few weeks than be able to see the rivers through the street :ugh:

lets not fix bridges that are on the verge of collapse because it inconveniences Bob Gentile. What the fuck are you thinking, PennDOT?!?!?!?!?!

yea, lets just not fix anything and let it all rot then fall apart killing hundreds maybe thousands. then we can all bitch about how we let this happen and that penndot should have fixed all this…

its a never ending cycle

wow way to totally take what i said the wrong way. depending on what bridges they decide to close all at once they could cripple the city. they also spend more money and take more time rehabing a bridge than if they blew the thing up and start over. thats all on ur tax dollar. take the high level bridge for example. it took them near two years to redo the bridge and they still didnt correct problems. there is always head on crashes on that bridge. they could have easily eliminated one sidewalk to have a jersey barrier like they did on the glenwood bridge. Im almost positive these bridges will have to get fixed in a enviromentally friendly manner that will take longer and be far less effective.

Do you really think they would close enough bridges at the same time that it would cripple the city? I know penndot is stupid but they are retards. Also, how do you figure that demoing a bridge and rebuilding it would be cheaper than fixing the old ones. I haven’t see that in any new stories.

Penndot… Stop salting the roads… (find something better, that does less harm to the roads)

stop tearing up roads to put bricks in to make it look all nice and nostalgic, but a mile down the same road leave the potholes.

Stop taking on projects that you don’t have enought man-power to finish a respectable time period (3 years for a 2 mile stretch of road is not a respectable time period to get a job done). Or, get employees that will actually work, and be more efficient.

stop putting up too many cones, and flashing lights, and not putting signs of were to turn. Make sure there is good lighting were there is construction

Stop creating projects on one side of town, and at the same time, doing a project on the other side of town so that people have to go through an obstacle course to get out of town.

Stop fixing roads, only to tear holes in them a week later to fix broken pipes.

Clean up your shit when you are done. Don’t leave gravel, and other crap on the roads.

Stop paving 1/2 of the road, and leaving the other half with uneven pavement.

Stop the tar and chip. Or at the very least warn drivers of tar and chipped road in advance.

are you sure it’s the salt and not the freeze/thaw and plows?

Also, go drive around in Maryland for a while. All the roads down there are pristine. They tear up and redo the roads BEFORE they turn to shit. Novel concept. And they get in and out super fast too. They repaved route 50 between salisbury and ocean city in a couple of weeks. 20 miles, 4 lane divided highway.

Hearing about all of these bridges getting fixed is good news to me. The company I work for does alot of bridge inspections, engineering, and impact studies for PennDOT. PennDOT does have some strange hoops to jump through.

like stated above, salt has nothing to do with the condition of our roads.

so are you still broke/Korean? cause one of those is gonna have to go if we’re gonna be friends.

what i dont get is when you drive into a construction zone at night, the lights are positioned in a fashion that absolutely blinds a passing motorist.

what if the bridge that gets closed it the west end bridge…tell me that wont have a profound effect on traffic. if one or two bridges in the golden triangle its gonna be a nightmare for those who work in downtown… thats what i’m speaking on, how it would effect those people. doing the rankin bridge and a bridge on other side of the city isn;t gonna be a big deal.

I’m sure the PennDOT engineers don’t know that shutting down bridges affects traffic. You should write them a letter so they know.