i hate crooked mechanics.

rant!:

so my friend needs an alternator, and this fucking shop quoted her at $700 for the alternator and installation. they said the alternator was $400.00.

i looked on autozone website, it’s only 199. i mean, she could even get it rebuilt for cheaper than that.

why do mechanics do this shit?
what the fuck.
i want to beat everyone in the head.

people should know about cars if they’re going to drive them.
/rant.

have her take it to dell electric in hamburg, they know their shit

what kind of car?

'95 volvo 850 turbo.

IT’S A SWEET 5 CYL!!!
i love it.

Haha, siq.

But yeah shady mechanics suck. And likewise they like money.

i believe hybrid and nick do general repair, go to one of those

i would, if it was my car.

the point is people should know about their cars so mechanics can’t be scumbags.

200 @ autozone = 400 for a volvo oem unit from the volvo dealer

chances are they just called the dealer for the part because they dont expect the local parts stores to have one

then take it to someone else. DAMN!!! its not being crooked its the mechanic trying to make a living whether or not you like his prices or not…

A $400 alternator is not completely out of the question. I wouldn’t like to pay it, but what your friend was quoted, is not terribly overpriced, especially when you consider shop labor rates at about 70+ per hour.

But it is really expensive…just saying shops can get away with charging that.

hi!!! it’s not my car.

its because you’re a woman…

DAM just be happy we let you own shit and vote now.

i’m glad this is not my car.
and i said that like 4 times.
and you SMART men still don’t get it.

either way, i’m not letting her pay 700 for a fucking alternator. how fucking ridiculous. seriously kids.

lol @ people that complain about mechanics

a. if you don’t like the price, fucking say no
b. if you don’t like the price, do it your fucking self or learn how to do it yourself
c. if you can’t do it yourself, then shop around for a better price if its that preposterous…sure autozone has it listed for 200…how soon can they get it? is it in stock? week wait? out of production? not all companies charge the same thing…supply and demand, its a bitch yet a way of life
d. i know its not your car, so don’t whine about it again. “you” is a generalization, copy/paste it to your friend if you want…else just take the advice

Whats car? Some cars its not an easy task.

mother fucking :word:

how about when i have to pay over 400 dollars just to do a brake job on the evo, do i complain? NO. suck it up or drive a bicycle

edit: yea 400 bucks just for rotors for the front, that doesnt even include pads… now if u took it in to get installed oh man. dont complain about maintenance untill u see what i have to pay

was it a franchise shop?
a $200 dollar autozone could easily be $400 oem and most franchise shops are close to $100 an hour

Now if its just a small shop a $200 dollar autozone part with a 30% mark up is $260 plus 2 or 3 hours of labor at $80 + or -. So my math is $500.

Also an oem pad and rotor job on my Saab was over $500.
That’s why I bought a service contract on it (granted maintenance items like brakes are not included).

Crooked may be a touch strong, maybe “trying to make a living”

taking advantage of women is what keeps our economy strong, FYI.

semi j/k.

Dawn, give us a call. I’ll quote you a price over the phone.
Then you can tell your girly what a sick deal we’ll give her :slight_smile:

Wait you have a Volvo?

shit… don’t you have any guy friends that are into cars? I usually end up doing that stuff for friends of mine for a 12 pack and some pizza :smiley:

700 is a crazy price… I’d tell them to stick it up their asses