i have 2 SBC questions having to deal with HP

hey guys, i know you wolnt be able to get a definite answer, but at least a rough estimate is what im looking for.

how much HP do you think the following engine would make, im going to list EVERYTHING i know about it:

SBC from a 67’ impala ss
entire engine is blueprinted/balanced
domed pistons
engine is milled down, 12.5:1 comp ratio
fullie heads (either 462 or 492 casting number)
older style weiand xcellerator intake
comp cams 280h (280 duration, 480 lift)
750 CFM holley carb
accel HEI distrib (planning on replacing)
headers

sorry if i forgot something important, but im looking for a rough HP rating, sorry i cant get the exact specs, but at this time it isnt possible.

for my next question… lets say you have 2 SBC’s with the exact same parts, ecept one is 9.5:1 comp and the other is 12.5:1 comp how much extra HP do you think the higher comp engine will make? Once again, i know there is no definitive answer, but an estimate.

Thanks guys!

ported heads or non ported?

my guess is you’ll be lucky if your anywhere near 400 hp at the flywheel

Your missing 1 important thing…How many cubic in…? Also 3 points of compression will make a big difference in h.p.

your right, i was going with 350ci, but it’s probably smaller.

my guess is you’ll be lucky if your anywhere near 400 hp at the flywheel

yep, this is what i was thinking…those heads kinda suck. you need something that can flow better for that motor with that compression and cam.

damn, i knew i was missing something.

its a 355

With that compression a 355 will make better than 400 hp with camel humps. Just remember you won’t run on pump gas. Moving to a solid cam would even give you a little more.

Running the numbers through desktop dyno, give the following results the 12.5 engine should produce about 398@5500rpm, and the 9.5 346@5400.

I’m sure these numbers are just an estimate. And this was done as large tube headers, with open exhaust…

thanks guys :slight_smile:

vito, can i get more info about this “desktop dyno”??

It’s a program I got years ago, (so old it’s a DOS version) that Mr. gasket sold. I think Summit has something similar listed in their catalog. If you would like I could try e-mailing it to ya. It fit on a floppy, but I tried e-mailing it to someone else and it didn’t work. not sure if it was their connection speed or something else.

i had the same one years ago, then we switched computers so i lost it. wouldn’t mind fooling with it again, HINT HINT

hey thanks, my e-mail is slvr98camaro@gmail.com

:bowdown: :hs:

The old Desktop Dyno is great info for setting up combinations…

well there are some 355 crate motors making over 400 hp with less compression with cams similar to that one and some slightly bigger, but they have good heads that flow well like vortecs, or dart iron eagles.

that seems like a lot of compression for that cam and heads.

I run a 355 with 13:1, 291 camel humps, comp cam 294s cam, holley 300-36 intake, 750 edelbrock…The only issue is I have to run aviation fuel…but it is sure fun to drive.

yeah, people asked me what i think the HP rating is, because i only had a guess, and i told them prolly 400, and everyone told me there was no way it was making that power, and its prolly around 260HP, i guess they forgot most stock SBC’s make 1 HP per CI, which would be 350 right there.

the car came with those specs, i personally didnt do it, but i do know it has some high comp (the guy who sold the car to us used to drag race it) but anyways, i found some spark plugs laying around, they were honostly 1mm longer, and i hit the key with the ign off, and i pulled the plug and it was closed up. internally, im just going by what i was told (domed pistons) but i am 100% sure of everything else

how much HP does it have? we have it running on 115 octane turbo blue, $5.45 a gal :frowning:

e-mail sent…

That’s A LOT of compression for that small of a camshaft.

how come?