I just picked up...

…a TR236 Cam, 918 Springs, Ti Retainers and I have a deal worked out for a LS6 intake. I have to somg my car within a month so as soon as that hassle is done the stick goes in (smog every 2 years in Cali, so I don’t have to worry 'bout it for a while again). I’m stoked. Still need to pick up: gasket set, hardened pushrods, timing set, maybe ported LS6 oil pump. And of course a tune will get done. But summer is almost here = work full-time = mod-money. :smiley:

The buddy I’m buying this stuff off of put down 402 RWHP w/ this setup but he’s running Pacesetter LTs. With my MACs I’d figure more like 385 RWHP.

-TJ

:cool: :bigthumb: congrats!!!

Thanks maaaang! The Z has needed some lope for a long time now. And I’ve owned the car for almost 4 years now, it’s time to step the power up… it was startin’ to feel slow. :wink: :zzz:

BTW… do you think I should bother w/ the oil pump or not? My car holds great oil pressure and it’s never been a problem. I have 55k on the car. But I know '98-99s especially were known for oil pump failure, but it seemed to be somewhat rare and would have shown up by now. Then again, better safe than sorry right? Hmmm.

Oh, I’m probably going to do the LS6 valley tray too because my car likes to suck down the oil on high RPM decel (like you do alllllll the time in AutoX).

-TJ

might as well get the pump my pressure is great and plus w/ 40k i figured might as well do it all at once so it doesnt have to get torn into again for a while. let usknow how it goes !! i wanta bigger cam :frowning: but too many other things first

:bsflag: I heard LS1’s were so great they didnt even need oil. :finger:

i have no idea what any of that stuff is, but it sounds cool… :smiley:

congrats.

congrats on the cam

is oil catch can too complicated for the domestic folk?

Ummmm. Please tell me you’re kidding right? Camshaft, valve springs, valve spring retainers. If you’re serious go to howstuffworks.com and look up the internal combustion engine. Thanks though. :slight_smile:

No, a lot of ppl have done it. To be honest I’ve just been too lazy to do it. :stuck_out_tongue: But the LS6 valley tray is a nicer solution (IMHO). Hell, I could always do both. :wink:

-TJ

i meant specifically… i know what a cam is, but not what a TR236 cam is.

Thunder Racing is a retailer that specializes in LT1/LS1 stuff (but they’re branching out). They have a line of cams that they have custom ground to their specs (I think they’re done by Comp, can’t remember though). Anyway, the TR236 specs out as follows: 236/230 Duration Intake/Exhaust, .599/.573 Lift Intake Exhaust, 112 LSA. It’s a pretty big cam for stock heads, but the reverse split (more intake duration as opposed to a standard split where the exhaust has more duration) has proven to work very well on LS1s. Stock LS1 heads flow 252/182 @ .6 lift (slightly more than I’ll get) stock. Compare that to some popular traditional SBC heads and you’ll see they’re pretty farkin’ good for stockers: http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/41598/index6.html .

Here’s a sound clip of the cam in my buddy’s car (the one I’m buying it off of): Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos

-TJ

sound clip no work.

edit: right click, save as.

What he said ^^^^

-TJ

I just bought a bunch of Thunder Racing gift certificates during their 10% off mother’s day sale.

How do you like your MACs? That’s what I’m looking for (LT1 obviously). Just curious about quality. I know I should do 1 3/4" or LT but ground clearance & plug access is better with the MACs (Jet Hot coated), & a lot cheaper than AS&M.

get the ls6 poored pump & do the ls6 valley tray!!!two great safe mods!!! :cool:

are u gone long tubes or shorty?(=poop)mac’s are pretty good!!!whats the price ,i may be able to get them cheaper!!!

I’m going with the MAC mids. $570 shipped from Jet Hot with the sterling coating. (Sorry for the hi-jack TJ.)

:cool:

(Sorry for the hi-jack TJ.)

I like my MACs… but especially now that I’m doing a cam I wish I had gone LTs. The quality is fine, accept I didn’t get Jet Hot coated MACs and the MAC coating is basically paint. The way my Y-pipe worked out w/ Carsound Cats it’s just as slow as most LTs anyway, but that’s only because I didn’t want to use MAC cats (MAC cats are junk).

No worries on the Hi-Jack. But anybody listen to the clip? :smiley:

-TJ