ls1 build...well kind of

Ok I’m looking to get some more power out of my ls1. As of now I have a mostly stock ls1. I have lg pros,x pipe, no cats, corsa touring, port/polished tb, hurst short throw, and the heavy duty brakes. I have 3.90 gears/spec3+/fedenza flywheel that will be going in over winter. I also have a wet nos set up i’m finishing right now. What would be my best bet to make her go a little faster? I’m thinking a cam/pushrod/rollers/some ported oil pump/some double roller timing/power pullies/ls6 intake…or should I just get a ls6 intake? I’d like to get some suggestions on these parts…I only have about 2K to put into the car so thats what I have to work with…lemme know what you guys think…its a 97 m6 c5 by the way…thanks!

For more power go with a cam, springs, and pushrods. If you dont want to get internal yet, finish the external bolt ons. It really depends on what you ultimate goal is with the car. All the external bolt ons for these cars help with the final product. Things like an underdrive pulley and intake have small gains individually, but they help big time with the final combo.

:word:

Put a sweet badass cam in it. Spray. Go 10s. Become a street hero :clap:

cam tune spray win

:word: to what everyone else said.

Heads too!

if you want 500wheel NA, i know some nice heads to buy :slight_smile:

sell it and buy a honda

I thought about that, then I realized my little sister drives a honda, and I wouldn’t want to cramp her style.

buy oroc’s head/cam setup, call it a day

Definitly Cam. LS6 would be good too. I would wait and get good heads if you don’t have the cash right now, unless you get a good deal on something used. But I"m a big proponent of Heads/Cam and call it a day. No more huge power adders. Its just a pain in the ass. (but it is fun to drive…)

There is a lot of power to be had with just doing a cam with full bolt-ons, an efficient cam selection can easily yield you 70 rwhp, we have done many before and after tests and see anywhere from 35 rwhp to 100 rwhp depending on what you goal and budget is. You can always spary it too.:pimp:
Im gona be putting some some resent shop car builds with our customs cams, later today maybe. Also the new bigger shop :headbang:

i agree with every one else, should probably upgrade the heads though, theyre good but the perimiter head bolt heads arent the best compared too an LS6 or later LS1 head if you cant afford a good set of aftermarket heads.cant go wrong with a cam though, stock heads or not.

putting a better flowing set of heads won’t yield much power on a stock cam. in fact it will probably suffocate the engine. in terms of budget, get an appropriate cam first. dont just buy heads to get new heads. save and get something worth while. otherwise you will be spending money on mediocore at best results. remember, anybody can hog a cylinder head out and make it flow good peak numbers, but there is MUCH more to performance of a head than that. (air velocity, mid-lift flow, etc) in a nutshell, until you have money to spend on a proven set, you WILL be better off with a cam suited for your 241 castings.

he should have 806 casting heads, 241 is years away? 806s suck.

i didnt mean buy heads before a cam, i meant i agreed with everyone else that you should get a cam but for more power you should also invest in a good set of heads.

o yaya…i agree with that. i would say if you can’t afford GOOD heads from the start, dont settle for crappy ones (even if they are a little better), they wont take you very far, then you’ll just be pissed at yourself.

i overlooked the '97 part, so they probably are in earlier head. i still wouldn’t change them yet

Custom grind camshaft, AFR205cc cylinder heads, then add the FAST 90/90 combo and have a fast reliable 440-450 rwhp all day long with no bottle to fill. Then you can always put the bottle on top of that. The only problem is the AFR 205 heads will chew up that $2,000, but in reality they include the spring you would spend $200 on and also Ti retainers that go for at least $100. I would wait till you can afford heads

:word: easy as that

Get the bolt ons finished up first…LS6 intake and ud pulley are pretty cheap and they’ll help you out if the future when you start really getting into the engine. I’d look into the H/C packages out there too from TSP and ThunderRacing.

Meh you don’t need heads to go fast…

Lots of people go fast with big cams…