i need help and/or advise

Not many of you guys know me but i can ashure you i love cars just as much as the rest, im new to the performance aspect of them tho, only because of money iv had 3 cars and they were all rust buckets and beaters but this winter i found an old DSM and the price tag was 300 bucks so i figured what the shit why not. this was eairly december and it was AWD so i was like yess this will rock but i’v gone through hell and back and it’s still not on the road. so 300 for the car, getting it towed all over the place and some parts- about 3200$ later i found myself putting forsale signs in the windows yesterday. and today i parked it at the end of my driveway and took a good long look at it and i love the car. im just sketch on wether it will be worth the money i can get from selling it, or wether it will hold up if i decide to keep it and dump more cash into it trying to make it something great. its a blue 1992 TSi and at this point its like 95% done it needs like a tire, radiator fans, and a readjusted pully cuz its a little funky and sounds like death when the car is on. i guess what im asking is for thos of you that own DSM’s to maybe help me out as far as what sort of reliability i can get from this. i want something that i can throw money at and get a lot out of it and have fun and not worry about it blowing up. and then theres the whole AWD -living in buffalo deal. its racking at my brain. any advise on the pro’s and cons? as far as selling it i was looking to obtain a certain red VR swapped mkII jetta. hmm…

SELL IT NOW!!!

LMFAOL

You can throw money at a DSM and get alot out of it, but they aren’t known for their reliability because alot of them are poorly maintained. For $300, I’m sure you got a nightmare of a car that wasn’t maintained ever. If you want call us for an appointment and Gary will work his DSM magic on your car like the rest of the cars he has fixed. If you are looking for a car that is going to be 100% reliable don’t mod it, and don’t own a dsm.

$300 DSM? You get what you pay for. I hate to say it, but it was probably better off as a parts car. I’d try to sell it. If you can get anything close to what you put into it, you’ll be that much better off. If reliability is what you need, buy a Honda. If you wanna keep it, it may be a long road ahead.

sell it. got those receipts? bargaining chips.

If you are seriously enamoured with them, find a maintained stocker, or a well built (aka documented) example. it’ll cost you more, but they are (in)famous for their, uh, sketchy reliability.
Personally, I’d love a 2G GSX, but too many of my buddies have shown me otherwise. same for one of the hottest evaR cars, import or domestic, the FD RX’s… like elle macpherson on wheels…

anyway, owners step in at this point.

yeah the car appears in great shape, i have all my recipts and the glove box is full of them from the other kid- but i drove it today and the thing allready blew up. overheated, it started idleing all crazy first really low and later on boucing from 1000 to 1500 and all the electrical started goin nuts, all this after i lost power streering. awsome car.

Turbo sport rejected my ass all the way home

just sounds like the serpentine belt snapped?
I had a 92, and it turned out I needed a new alternator as it kept chewing through the belts. Once that snapped your waterpump is useless, hence the overheating part. BTW which would also cause you to lose powersteering. How new is the alt/waterpump/power sterring pump?