I need SKIS!

Who’s got the best prices in town? Never bought, always slogged through the rental line. And my wife’s white boots, straight Rossignol’s, and hot pink poles need some updating.

Also, what’s a good all mountain intermediate, inexpensive ski? Internet tells me Atomic Smoke, and Salomon X-wing.

When you say all mountain do you mean all mountain in WNY or all mountain as in including powder?

I have the K2 Seth Pistol which are great out west in the steep and deep but they suck on ice.
I will sell them to you when I get back in 2 weeks. :slight_smile:

are you looking to get out on them this year?
if you can wait to buy till spring youll save hella cash.

Go to ski rack in east aurora, Matt (lowlyoilburner) and Eric are usually there on Saturday. Everything in the shop is on sale now I think.

I want skis that are good on conditions we get here, so yeah, WNY. All Mountain is just a term that seems to apply to all around skis.

I’ll check them out.

Eric at Ski Rack in EA has hooked me up a few times; Definetly a guy to go talk to.

I just got my skis tuned there. :slight_smile:

I know what all mountain means that is why I asked because if you only ski around here you probably don’t really want a true all mountain ski. Just sayin…

i got my first set from Ski Sale. My second set i picked up for real cheap at a ski swap. Thats where the deals are on some solid skis.

My current set i got from The City Garage in Eville. I got them in mid-summer 2006 for 60% off. Once you find what you want, shop around.

i need a pair of skis as well, once you buy them, do u have to wax them or anything like that?

go demo some skiis at a mountain… nothing some dude in a store tells you can compare to trying the skiis out.

plus you can then go buy online for way less.

I want these just to hang on my wall…

http://k2skis.com/skis/backside/mcconkey-tribute

Sorry for the hi-jack but Shane was the man.

yeah i would wax them once you buy them.

If you buy in a store you might be able to haggle it in to the price.

If you buy new you can normally don’t have to tune or wax for a few times out. Then I’d get them waxed at least once a season depending on how much you ride.

Used, I’d definetly get waxed and ground.

As for how often to wax/grind… that’s personal preference. I wax my board about every other time out and just hand stone the bad parts of the edges. I’ll get the whole thing professionally tuned at a shop probably once a year.

I wouldn’t grind them unless they really need it. When I took mine in, I could tell the guy was thinking “have these even been used since the last waxing”. lol He suggested not grinding them.

I agree. Most places will tell you yes it needs it or no it doesn’t. Most times they don’t need it unless they’re rusted pretty badly, or beat up pretty badly from hitting shit.

Um Ski Market? Up to 80% off skis and there were a shit load of skis when I was there a few days ago.

It sucked when I went there on the first day. AND the tags said “final markdown”.Scam.

Got them! Went to Ski Sale first, they had almost this exact package, but no poles in stock. They were mildly helpful, and had the cheapest price. Then went to Ski Rack in E.A. They had the skis, but only one pair, don’t even remember if it was the right size. I think they were 170’s. but I don’t know if they had the boots poles or bindings because I stood around for 20 minutes and was ignored. So we went to Red Door and they were very helpful, had the right size skis, poles, bindings and boots. A little more than Ski Sale, but free tune ups for a year and they have an air of competency, like they know what they are doing. So, Red Door it is. And comparing to internet prices they work out about the same.

The skis are a step above the low end, labeled on their site as “advanced”. Which is cool. I’m not an advanced skier, more like an aggresive intermediate. I like to jump and go fast.

Tried them out today, took a few runs to get used to them, they are a lot stiffer than rentals but once you get used to them they rip. And as fate would have it, we were all ready to go, my wife snaps into her left ski, and the top half of the back binding goes twirling in the air. So now she needs new skis. She rented and the difference between my shiny new ones and her crappy rentals was dramatic! on the gentle shuttle runs I would just pull away, had to keep stopping to wait for her to catch up. Then (after the first 3 tentative runs) I would blast down and wait for her to catch up again. Normally we would ski side by side, me and my crappy rentals, her and her crappy ancient Rossis.

In the process of ordering her the skis she wants. Rossi Passions.