If I were to spend $40K on a car...

[quote=“AfXtc777,post:12,topic:40134"”]

I’ve been looking at these for a while actually. As of now I’m seriously considering buying one next summer. (if I stay with the same company)

Joe, what type of regular maint. do you have on the lotus and what type of costs are involved. Obviously two complete different exotics, i’m just curious.

[/quote]

The Lotus Esprit requires interval servicing, A, B, and C (EXTREMELY common for any high end exotic car). A and B services for the Lotus, are nothing I’m afraid to tackle myself. I’ll do those services, and brakes, and small things like that. I leave the C service to my mechanic Evan, who’'s worked on these cars his whole life. The C service (required about every 25K, unless the car’s not driven a lot, in which case it’s more often bec. age is worse than lack of use) is the largest and most costly. For the C service it is recommended that the timing belt, gaskets, and seals, are all replaced. Additionally, every system is thoroughly gone through and checked for proper tensioning and adjustments. It can also require the removal of the engine if both fuel tanks need to be checked (every Esprit will need this done at some point due to age and the lack of a great sealing 1/4 window, bec. the 1/4 glass is basically siliconed in, and if/when it develops a leak, water will drip down onto the tops of both fuel tanks).

I’ve done my homework on these cars and know about as much as anyone about them, and I can do this for pages and pages, but it’s pointless. My real point is this:

If you’re ready for this type of car, you need money or a lot of knowledge. If you have both then you’re in better shape than the rest. You can’t treat rare, expensive, and uncompromising cars with the same attitude you would with a heavily modified Civic hatch. The fact is parts ARE expensive (comparatively), the labor is NOT cheap (if you can’t do it all yourself), and your resale value is HIGHLY dependent on PO’s and the records that come with the car (don’t even think for a second this isn’t true).

Again, I’m just barely touching on some of the details for owning these types of cars. And a Lotus Esprit is cheap, for an exotic. Very cheap. Use your judgement…