ifs or solid axles

Go to the capital truck center Line X place just down the road from Griffens Motorsports. I think they still have their 2000 ranger demo truck for sale. its built NICE, and last I saw it was $10K or something like that they wanted.

I would look for a 98+ ford ranger. 4.0L has good power. Auto trans tows 5Klbs (so it says), the manual trans tows a bunch less but gets 18+mpg, my auto gets 16. trans, diff and transfercase are good enough for light to med wheeling. rear end is decent, and some come with limited slips factory. if a locker or LSD can be found on the cheap for them.

suspension kits are nice for them. justs a 3" kit will clear 31’s all day long or 33’s with some trimming. Plenty of quality 5+ kits out there. Plenty of bumpers, rock rails to protect the rockers. 4X4.5 bolt patten so you have TONS of wheels to pick from (stock jeep wheels fit and guys sell them all the time to upgrade) Breaks are good.

I owned 2 rangers, brother has one, my friend CRD had a nice 05 FX Level2 ranger, his father had a ranger, and my father owned 4 for work trucks. I know them inside and out… its a solid platform.

My other choice would be a cheap, 98 and OLDER, ranger. with the stupid front end PJB mentioned. I would get one that runs good, and has a body you wouldnt cry about getting scratched for $1500. Get solid front axle from a junk yard, and put in a solid front triangluated 4 link setup in the front. With an air locker. Out back put the 8.8" in with a locker, big leafs and shocks. trim the fenders, and run 35’s easy. 4.10 gears. wheel the shit out of it, and get a solid 13mpg with it. lol