Off roading - anyone into it?

So I’ve always thought the off roading thing was kind of lame. My friends have been on me for a couple years how to start building a rig but my 240 obession was more than enough for my budget. I thought tracking my car was going to be way more fun/excitement then off roading would ever be to me.

Anyways that changed pretty fast. I picked up a 97 4runner limited model with a locking diff a month ago now. My truck is bone stock but actually does very well for what it is. the diff is key or I wouldn’t be able to keep up at all. I’ve already been out on two trips with it and this shit is pretty intense. Last weekend my friend rolled his suzk trying to get over a steep rock. I did not try this with the stock runner. I did however succesfully pull him back over. We then had to drain the motor of oil and try to get the it running again before we could get out of trail. I think the reason I like off roading now is the fact you have to jimmy rig stuff together and find fixes for things on the trail or your seriously f’d. The risks are also just as big if not bigger than on a track. I certianly won’t be trading in my 240 to spend all my cash on the 4runner but my mind set has changed a lot.

I was interested in knowing if there is anyone else in the 240 community who likes to wheel? I plan to have my truck built up for next summer so there should be some fun adventures coming up. I’ll throw some pics up of my truck tonight once I get home.

I <3 wheeling but I had to choose between building up my Jeeps or my Datsun.

I’ve had 96 Cherokee lifted 6" on 33’s, armour on the front, rear and top and bunch of other offroad goodies. 2002 Grand Cherokee lifted 4.5", 32’s and almost ordered a pile of stuff for it before I mangled it and devoted my monies to the Z lol.

I’ll be back with an 08 JK once I’m done school and have money. Its not about choosing track car or offroad truck, but having an offroad truck that will pull your track car around if necessary :smiley:

Yeah thats true too. The runner can pull 3,000 no problem so thats nice to have. peace of mind to turn up the boost and now you can get home some how

I had an 85 Cherokee. 1 ton axles. Was going to swap in my 6.5 turbo diesel. then sold it all.

I’m more likely to build another rig before finishing my s14.
When the zombies rise I want to be able to run them over in big old red neck fashion.

Next rig will be a ram 2500 with a 6bt. Rockwells. And 49’s.
Atomic axles would be bauce… But at 10k+ per axle, rockwells will sufice.

[QUOTE=S13counterpart;3290690]
When the zombies rise I want to be able to run them over in big old red neck fashion.
QUOTE]

Funny you say that. I had that same thought. I can do 140+ in this truck and still drive through a ditch. Perfect for an apocoliptic world.

I’m trying to resit the urge to go all out and put a solid axle in the front. The truck sit’s stock on 31’s. My plans to put a small lift and get up to 33’s with a lot of armour. It should still be alright on gas at that point and be able to handle. I’m going for more of an expedition rig than a rock crawler

Didn’t know this… SICK.

I’m going to do rockwells on the JK also when the locked 44’s aren’t man enough for me - but 37’s, not 49’s - you crazy basterd.

I am going to do a 4BT or a 4BD2T (Isuzu) in the JK however. Adam if your serious there was a blue 2500 short box with D60/70 and blown 6BT on kijiji a month or so ago for $1500. I wanted it.

LOL at alright on gas on 33’s haha my Cherokee was retarded on gas. But expedition rig is def a good way to go. I want a beefy expedition rig that’ll take majority of shit, daily drive and leave the grand canyon scaling to Mr. 49’s up there ^.

More commonly know around these parts as “Goin for a tour” or “Muddin” aha

Requirements:
Plaid jacket
Work boots
Chains
Beer (on private property only of course)

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz10/benmelenhorst/10960_225590465357_504170357_4631677_3315523_n.jpg

And when all you have is 2 wheel drive. Pull a couch. (No brainer)

^ thats some decent mud. I wouldn’t be stepping into that.

Alright gas milage is in my terms… Really I purchased a 5000lb brick. Milage wasn’t high on priority list. I can’t expect to much might as well put bigger tires on and weight it down with another 1000lbs of bumpers of sliders.

Ram’s almost need 49’s lol They look awkward with the stock tires… what is the stock size 32?

Its more like rockwells need 49’s or bigger…

Their gear ratio is 6.72… :o

I want a Yoda on 35’s-38’s. Couple of my buddies have had them, and my uncles sell used parts for them. Nothing too serious, just for goin down old farm roads and stuff like that. Mid eighties Runner with straight axles and a 22re will run all day long in low gear.

I would be rocking 44’s with 2.5 ton Rock’s, but that is a long way down the road lol. D44’s stock ftw for any trails around these parts. Daily will be 37’s so its not retarded but still capable. (Handicapable??)

Steve sorry man but 49’s don’t make a ram look less awkward.

Ive been back and forth with jeeps/4 runners and S13’s

First jeep was a 91 YJ 6inch lift plus i did spring over and rolled around with welded rear on 35’s was scary around corners but fun in the mud. I then moved on to a 92 cherokee did a budget boost lift kit of 3 inches and 31’s was fun but meh. I rolled it on the trails and drove home. Next was my 89 yj i called clunky ran like a top when she wasnt cold and i did a spring over and add a leaf to that crammed some 33’s had lots of fun till i took on a hill that was pretty much straight up brakes failed and i rolled backwards fast., i managed to keep her from rolling but unfortunatly the big ditch at the bottom wasnt to forgiving broke lots of shit. Last jeep i owned cae from farmer. Was the biggest POS ever but i had fun. Lastly i had my toyota 4Runner thing was stick had a 2.5 inch body lift solid body and floors ran like a top ran around on 36inch swampers and semi gloss paint.

if you like offroading, and like sites like this check out www.jeepkings.ca. always good for trail runs and stuff. this post made me dig through some old pictures, i was into trucks WAAY before nissans.

i would post up more but im too lazy so here are my favorite trucks ive had

http://i56.tinypic.com/2uivxo1.jpg
93 4runner, 8" lift, 36" tires (bens) on ifs still. drove like shit. girls loved it hahah

http://i51.tinypic.com/izxs1z.jpg
81 chevy, 6" lift, 35" tires

85 jimmy, dana 44 sfa swap, ford 9" rear. 35" tires. homebuilt EVERYTHING. couldnt keep it in one lane if you tried…miss that thing haha.

92 cherokee, long arms, 35" tires, lockers front and rear

the one that started it all…79 blazer. all stock, 35" tires. drove the SHIT out of this truck, and it would not break. floors completely rotted, doors completely rotted…everything rotted. so much fun. clutch drops in bull low all day long hahah.

i went with some buddies a few times …drove trails and pits a couple time’s but never sparked any intrest. I didn’t take many pictures as i went up to drink…and drink more …but these retards made me lol

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af168/bradens13/stucky.jpg
http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af168/bradens13/stuck.jpg
http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af168/bradens13/rettard.jpg

^ good try lmao

sbz, you’ve had some fun toys. Braden you must have been to raglin pits being from oshawa. I was there a few times through school, always a shit show but nothing every got my attention there either. It was a trip to ardbag that got me hooked.

Pics of the new (to me) truck.

And the motivation

Customer f ours that took his stock Pajoer out with some friends.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVFNk913tow

this was marydale pits, on marydale road Newtonville, an old abandoned trailer park and camp ground. Yes i have been to raglan.

I just painted my truck. She’s 100% restored. Mud…off road? Not for a while :slight_smile:

I’ve been out hundreds of times. Some people are just bloody insane with their trucks. Mud is fun. Crawling is better.
I stopped going so often due to the fact that she’s my daily, and well. I’m the one that fixes her.

Still debating a SFA swap. I seriously doubt it though.

Great fun, REAL dirty and it gets expensive insanely fast.

Why are you debating a SFA swap?

That’s is like debating whether to fuck Scarlett Johansson when she’s naked and wet right in front of you. lol

IFS is gay. Cool for desert racing. Not much else.