i'm gettin some fumes here

when i drive with the windows down, i can smell gas fumes… when car’s off, seems to me that the rear trunk emits the fumes… could it be the fuel pump (fuel sender)… how much does one go for and how hard is it to replace? does it require dropping the fuel tank? is it a common prob for the s13? would there be something else wrong besides the pump? thanks

sam

You might have the very cool (dangerous) fuel-injected-trunk mod.
The lines coming out of the sending unit may have corroded and since the system is pressurized, even a pinhole-sized leak can shoot out a lot of gas. Take that cover off and turn your ignition onto the accessory setting (the one that sets off the fuel pump relay) and see if anything comes out of the metal pipes coming out of the sending unit. If that is the case, find a good welder (just drive around an industrial park) and get him to fix those lines up.

wow, that is very cool, thanks for the help guys!

it could also possibly be your injectors(which it is on my car) check for a puddle of gas on your intake mani, thats where i found mine. but the smell is gone i think the cold weather has sealed it.

Your problem is where the filler neck meets the tank.
It Rusts and Splits causing gas to seap out.

Drive the car under 1/2 a tank and dont take any hard left turns for a while if the smell is gone thats your problem.

You then need to get a new tank and filler neck.

damn it so cold out, i really don’t wanna diagnose this problem… but i must… thanks for the suggestions guys!

I believe I may have this problem… All the same symptoms… would anyone know roughly how much it’ll set me back $$? and where i can go for either parts or honest service?

monkey~magic, U can either buy a brand new oem one for $350+ from nissan dealerships, or buy a used one (can be rusted and leaking) off someone on these boards or a junkyard for around 50bux or so and take it here to get sandblasted and plastic coated like i did:

Gas Tank Renu Ltd.
416-744-2744
1414 Martin Grove Road, Etobicoke
M9W 4X8
around $150bux? u trade in old tank, 3 Year Warranty

You never know call em they might still have my trade in tank thats been renewed :slight_smile:

ALSo I believe there is another place called “Tanks a Lot” that also renews old tanks and sell em /w warranty but u’ll have to yellow page it…there are lots of places jus gotta find em…

wicked name…lol