i smell fuel in my car

its a ka24de and i smell fuel when i’m driving. its not comming from the engine bay or out the exhuast or the rear of my car inside near the gas tank(i think). i can only smell it when i’m driving inside and more stronger at the front mybe even comming out of my vents?. engine idles fines and drives fine. anyone know where the smell is comming from or how to fix it that would be great.

thanks,
jon

you’ve checked all the fuel lines ? main line/return line ?

double check the fuel filter to ensure its tight/no leaking

have you check the injector seals ? their not leaking…

and you are sure the sending unit @ the rear is sealed

i’m pretty sure the injectors seals arent leaking cause i put my nose and friends noses right by the injectors. i’ll double check the lines but seems like it not comming from the gas tank/sending unit area. its seems like its comming from the vents when the blower is off and no leaks on the road when i park the car overnight. i smell it only when the car is on

Probably a line leak near the front of the car. Or fuel filter/clamp issue etc.

When the car is on there is pressure in the line, and the fuel leaks probably only or mostly at that time. Sounds like a possible “pinhole” leak somewhere.

Get under the car while it’s running, look around.

Good luck.

I have the same problem with my car, but i think it’s my gas tank, before i bought the car i took it to Nissan and they did a 50 point inspection on it and noted that:

Gas tank leaking??? smell of gas and stains on tank…

i havn’t gotten around to swaping it for the tank on my parts car yet, i’m hoping that will help, you might just wanna throw you car up on a lift and sniff around.

Fitzy

Double posts are gay

Fitzy

Just light a few matches close to where the smell is coming from and you might find your leak :lol: j/j

I had the same problem, I couldn’t figure out where I was leaking gas. I finally found it. I noticed it smelled more when I had a full tank and less and less as the tank started to get more and more empty. So I droped the tank and found that I had a leak at the top of the gas tank.

VERY good point…

most tanks are spot welded together “so half and half” and 90% of the time start to leak @ the seam…

happened on this 93 protege I had… just bought it… “only had 1/4 tank” dude gave me $40 to fill it up so I did… I got home and parked in the drive way (which is on enough of an angle) well in no time I had a nice gas slick heading down and realized right away it was leaking @ the seam and never leaked prior cause dude never had it over 1/4 @ the dealer

Do stock KA’s have a pulsation dampener on the fuel rails? I don’t remember. If they do, that’s a very likely place for a leak to happen as they wear out over time.

Does it smell more when you have a full tank???

Mine was leaking from the seams at the top.

haha filled up one day and by the time that I had payed gas was all over the ground at the station

Had the same thing with my S13 back in the day. Drove around for 2 days actually, with a trail of gas behind me, working 12 hour days with no time to fix it. Now THAT was scary!

I have the exact same problem right now, what would be the be the best solution? getting a new tank? any suggestions?

Ya get a new tank,

There are palces that can get them for good prices from the states, and they are usually all coated so the rust will not happen again

There are places that do some type of rubber injection to seal the tank from the inside… but over time it can come loose and clog up the tank

has any one suggested the gasket that seals where the fuel pump is? its rubber and round and can degrade over time–I have seen it happen a few times, also the rubber lines (supply and return lines) coming from the fuel pump that lead to the hard lines to the engine. the rubber lines are like what 8-12 inches somewhat easy to fix and will also cause the issue.

heres how to fix, there are 4 10mm bolts that hold the top access panel to the fuel pump in --undo them. then you’ll see the two lines i speak of–if they are cracked or look like crap-chances are they will–replace them. then to get to the seal i was talking about there are more bolts holding in the actual pump-then once again dive in–its all a very easy process-when your checking the rubber seal you’ll need to take the pump out, dont bend the arm for the fuel level or else your fuel reading will be off

ah i hate them ffing tanks, when i was doing my fuel pump swap my sending unit cover was rusted so now i only have 4 bolts in it, then i had to open it 3 ffing times cause i realized the wires rotted off, and all this time rust kept falling in the tank, and the hoses are cracked on the outside i need new hoses i ffing hate gas tanks i always get so high working on them, does anyone know where i can get new hoses that go from sending unit to lines, the send/return hoses. jon and for your issue they might have a gas leak detector, sonar style, just like they have for refridgirant, so if its a tiny leak they’d be able to find it when its on the hoist, hope that helps. also if you have a cat bypass pipe and running rich it might smell like gas too… good luck with that