Problem passing safety, help plz

Hey guys, I need some help…

When I was buying the car I went to some mechanic to see if it needs anything to cert, and the guy said it just needed wipers and some bulb… anyways I didn’t cert it @ the time becuase I wasn’t sure when I would be able to get insurence and the cert only lasts 30 days…

So now I got wipers etc and whatnot so I brought it to a local mechanic (since the car is not plated), and he said it needs the fuggin sidemarker bulbs, which i’ll replace…whatever…

Anyways, he said it has a fuel leak :? and I asked him how he knew and he said it smelled like gas plus he saw it leaking when he had it up on the hoist aparantly…

I know the gas smells because of the shitty seals that Nissan has, but like what could the leak be? And if there was a leak then why didn’t the other mechanic detect it? The only thing I can think of is that when I brought it in to the first mechanic the tank was pretty much on empty, but now it has a bit more (still very little though… maybe an 8th of a tank…)… could that be it?

Any idea on what I shoudl do? He said he’d cert it for free if I go to get it fixed… I’ll buy the bulbs soon but I’m not sure what to do about the fuel thing… if I replace the seal could it somehow fix the leak? Is there any way I can diagnose this myself…cause he wants like an hour worth of labor JUST to diagnose… plus another whatever to fix what’s leaking.

ANy help would be great, and if any of you know how much it would cost to fix the tank/line/whatnot?

Thanks a lot.

it could the your fuel lines… aparrently my fuel lines are starting to rust also and my mechanic was saying at least a few months they would break or whatever on me… all i can think of is how would you know that for sure lol… but whatever i got a rust proof done a few days ago… try checking those fuel lines if there wet if not then your gas tank has a leak… my old gas tank was leaking at the sending unit…

I c, thanks… any idea how much it would cost if it’s the fuel lines? I don’t think mine are rusted out though, my car is like coated w/ rustproofing everywhere…

Do you by any chance have a diagram of where the fuel lines are located so I can check them? I’m new @ this :frowning:

i had to put a peice of new fuel line on my car cuz it was leaking… actually in both the s13’s ive owned, so yea id say its common.

and you can see the fuel lines running all the way down the car, not very hard to find and just look for a wet spot.

That’s what she said.

Kay thanks, can you tell me how much it costs though… thanx.

My s13 also has a leak on the fuel lines. I found the wet spot myself. The lines are in prettyc lear site so finding the spot shouldnt be too bad.

you can buy fuel line kits for like 30 bucks on ebay.

not sure on how long it would eb to install em tho.

check the filler neck in the wheel well of the rear passenger side.

it is common for corrosion in there and it may be in that area. there is a plastic cover covering it up you have to take off.

For sure check this place too, My 89 Sohc had a leak when I gased up to the top. Alwas smelled gas and had a tiny leak for 50kms or so after fill up.

All your hard lines (the fuel lines from the tank to the engine bay are metal) run around your rear suspension. What happens is all the salt and road crap that gets flung up under the car tends to coat the hardlines.

They eventually weaken to the point they’ll snap. Same as brake lines.

It could also be the top of the fuel tank, bad injectors, etc.

Very hard to find a wet spot from fuel. Gas evaporates very quickly, so if it’s not gushing out, you gotta be fast when finding it.

Certs are really up to the mechanic. One guy might look at it, decide he’s too busy to take your money and just let it pass after a quick look. Or he could decide he’s got time all afternoon and needs to buy Xmas presents, and nail you for everything he can.

Thanks everyone, I’m getting it looked at tomorrow.

Also can someone tell me WTF this is, I found it in my trunk, and the grey clothy part smells like gasoline…

CLick links for pics:

www.performancescene.net/vadim/wtf.jpg
www.performancescene.net/vadim/wtf2.jpg

looks like a fuel pump.

Why do I have a fuel pump in my trunk?? I’m pretty sure it wasn’t there wheN I bought the car… I just noticed it after bringing it back form the mechanic ?

amen

Okay this is kind of weird, I was just at the car looking at fuses… and the fuse from my fuel pump is blown, and the place where you put it in has aluminum foil in it. Does anyone have any idea why this is like this?

because the new fuel pump. probably a warlbro sucks more amps than stock and they though it would be a good idea not to use a fuse… no comment on that decision…