I'm In Love - I Rode a Stretched/Slammed Gsxr 1000

I took my buddies bike for a ride this weekend. He just picked it up on friday.

Two things I loved:

1. Being able to flat-foot both feet at a stoplight
  2. The ridiculous acceleration

I’ve ridden litre bikes before (i never owned one but i’ve ridden a few friends’ bikes), but I’ve always been scared of 1st and 2nd gears, so I never really got to feel what a litre bike could do. But with this bike you can go full throttle in any gear without worrying about the front end coming up. It was pretty crazy. My arms felt like they were getting ripped out.

BUT the bike absolutely handles like shit!!! So I would never own one as my sole bike, but I wouldn’t mind having one to just cruise around with.

It is nice to have the day off, unlike me…:rofl

Surprised to hear that you liked it, especially on backroads as it looks like you were.

If I was in FL I’d consider it maybe but other than trying it just for kicks I doubt I’d ever want one.

Ever try a 'Busa or ZX14? They aren’t as prone to wheel lift as Liters because they aren’t made to handle like liters and have a longer frame. Yet they still don’t handle too terribly when compared to a stretched bike.

^^ I was actually debating in my head last night whether a stock busa or a stretched/slammed gsxr 1000 would handle better

You would figure the gsxr1000 is lighter and has more aggressive geometry, but once you lower and stretch it the geometry changes. So at that point would a stock busa actually handle better? Its an interesting question.

While I’m going out on a limb here it seems that a 'busa, ZX14 would be much better in that department. Those bikes can still handle, but are not made to be a track machine like a Super Sport liter, they are more touring.

Extending and dropping a GSXR 1000 destroys any nimbless or handling it had to begin with at which point in time a 'busa or ZX14 would be a better rounded bike.

a busa handles great if u know how to ride…a lowered bike can too if u dont go to low

Lowered? Sure, but lowered and stretched?

While I have no experience in the matter it seems like a drag only setup. Definitely not as touring capable as a stock 'busa or Zx.

From my experience with 1000’s on the street, they are a handfull.

A stretch bike will still handle good, the stretch doesn’t really throw off the bike balance as much as you would think, however when you start lowering a bike that’s when it can be tricky…I have adjustable dog bones on my bike and have it lowered about an inch. Its not much of a drop but it makes the bike much more comfortable for me at lights and what not and I haven’t noticed ANY change in the way it handles.

I’m not one who does wheelies, stunts or whatever you want to call it which is why I have been considering putting a “mild” stretch on the ZX10, so I can use that power instead of worrying so much about the front end ripping off the ground whenever I want to get on it!

my boy has a stretched GSXR1000. Bike is Fking sick. Love it.

Only thing u worry about lowered is u can grab a peg on ground quicker… My stretched 1000 i could give people a ass woopin in corners still… Its just like any bike… Ull get use to ur limits

I wouldn’t bring your 1000 into this. It’s a purpose build bike and it’s very good at that purpose but it’s out of it’s element in the twisties and is definitely hindered. If stretched arms helped all Moto GP bikes would come stretched.

Go to a track day and have your butt handed to you by an instructor on a 50 hp motard.

1/4 and highway however your bike is in it’s own league.

USMC if you end up stretching it let us know how the change feels.

I want to make a custom + 3-4" swing arm on the ducati JUST so it kills the handling and it will keep me from wanting to drag peg every ride home from work.

Vlad no matter what the length of a bike ull get use to it and be able to ride it very hard in corners

Theres isnt a person around here who can ride and normal height bike to its limits there for changing length n lowering wont kill it that much…

Ur talking moto gp not the average rider… Id say this conversation is about the average everyday rider

that’s a good point. ground clearance won’t be too much of an issue with a 1 inch or 2 inch drop, especially for people who hang-off on the street. turn-in will be slightly slower but you’ll get better mid-corner stability from the longer wheelbase.

but there is definitely something special about a quick handling bike, even if you aren’t pushing the limits it still feels nice to chuck it into a corner with very little effort.

Oh dont get me wring my s1000rr would flick into a corner amazing when it was stock height n length but ask the people i rode with a walked by them in corners when it was lowered and 8 inches longer if they feel it hindered it much lol

Define normal bike. I’ve scraped pegs plenty hanging off the SV after owning them for years :lol

Only time I messed around with the GSXR was on the track and dragged knees with that (which is actually quite easy in the suit and you lean less than expected).

And 636, well let’s just say i went straight past the limit with that one :rofl