I'm so behind the times... RE: Period spacing

Weird.

I recently discovered this, and also refuse to change. It just FEELS so WRONG.

2space4lyf3

Hogwash.

2 spaces or you’re Jeg.

Yeah in college we always used MLA style, and our profs and whatnot would have us use double spacing…weird.

I have always used double spacing after . ! ? and single spacing after : ; ,

I will use two spaces.

Fyi: when I read the title and author of this post, this is not what I was thinking.
I was thinking that you have a GF now might be worried…

A few other styles also suggest a single space.

APA Style, from the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 15th ed. (2001), p. 290

5.11 Spacing and Punctuation
Space once after all punctuation as follows:

* after commas, colons, and semicolons;
    * after punctuation marks at the ends of sentences;
    * after periods that separate parts of a reference citation; and
    * after the periods of the initials in personal names (e.g., J. R. Zhang).

Exception: Do not space after internal periods in abbreviations (e.g., a.m., i.e., U.S.) or around colons in ratios.

CMS Style, from The Chicago Manual of Style, 15th ed. (2003), p. 61

2.12 Line spacing and word spacing.
A single character space, not two spaces, should be left after periods at the ends of sentences (both in manuscript and in final, published form) and after colons.

Turabian Style, from A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, 7th ed., p. 375

A.1.3 Spacing and Indentation
Put only one space, not two, following the terminal punctuation of a sentence.

That said, I’m going to try to avoid using 2 spaces, but i think it’s going to be a tough habit to break.

20 years of muscle memory means I’ll have 2 spaces for life. Same with after a colon, which is also supposed to be single spaced.

However, i don’t think firefox shows both spaces in the browser.

Single space. Single space.
Double space. Double space.

Edit, yep… only one space shows up in the submitted post, but both spaces show up in the text entry box…

Ya. That was a stupid thing in grade school. Same thing with putting a blank line when starting a new paragraph.

I think word adjusts too so if you put two spaces, it changes it for you.

fuck that noise.

its TWO SPACES

I do not believe this! I was just arguing with someone about this a few weeks ago. It’s definitely 2 spaces, I don’t care what they say.

interesting thought

I have always used TWO

news to me, I’ve always used single… then again, I never took typing or whatever that class was called

I used to put two spaces… like in middle school baahh!

x2

my professors either state they want two spaces or say nothing. i didn’t know it was a no-no. i’ll have to check APA, i don’t use MLA.

Fucker hosers, think of how inefficient you are wasting all those extra key strokes.

Same in IE, more likely the VB code than FF/IE.

When I quote you, both are in the text edit box.

It’s all personal preference. You can continue to use two spaces if you want. I do a lot of writing and this can sometimes come up. When it does the consensus is always no one really cares.

I just tried to type a paragraph in word with two spaces. What a pain in the ass that was.