In Dash Navigation Options

My dad has been bugging me about getting a indash navigation system for his 06 F250 King Ranch, since Ford was not smart enough to think, hey if your buying a diesel, you must be towing right? So why not offer navigation… guess thats why Ford is Ford… anyways… It has to be double din, he wants the factory look, he does not want a flip out unit.

We were looking at the Pioneer AVIC-Z2, it retials for $2200… they also have the AVIC-Z1, which retials for $2250, but it seems the Z2 is the newer version and has a little more options. Here is a link to the Z2. I can get the Z2 a lot cheaper on ebay.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069681_423070352,00.html

I know there are many companys out there, how are the new eclipse units? Or Kenwood?

Keep in mind, I want to be able to bypass the watching DVD’s while driving option, I have heard the new Pioneers use the GPS as security for that and was wondering if that could be broke or bypassed?

So basically im wondering what my options are other than Pioneer that make a really nice all in one unit. There are so many options out there, they have HDD’s now, etc… Any suggestions? Price is not really an option, unless its like $5000

i am going to get the new eclipse unit. it has everything i need built in. dvd nav sirrius ipod rear camera etc

i would talk to F-B-A. he deals with radios daily he can give you some great advice.

Which model? I know Pat has it in his cummins and likes it.

pat has a clarion. i was looking at that one but you had to buy every piece seperate. the eclipse units are more self contained and cheaper for everything i was looking at

its between model # 5510 and 6610

What a gay forum (showing—>mobile electronics…) now NOONE is going to see this thread… thanks mod :wtcslap: :finger2: :reloading … I never even knew this forum existed, at this point this thread is better off being locked.

alpine makes a double din, that you can add on the blackbird portable with a dock.
My friend has it and he likes it. so if you want to take it out and put it into another car you have that option.
pioneer is coming out with a new nav the “d3” i think it is.
I personally really like garmen products they seem to be the “smartest” nav out there pioneer has alot of flaws

That Z3 looks pretty cool with the XM realtime traffic thing… If money is not an option that would be the way to go…

as for the Watch a movie while driving, you can play a movie… and there is an AV output. but there also is a Rear cam input that you can watch while driving down the road. hook the two together and there you go…

the old school a/v units you just had to constant ground the wire thats suppost to go to the ebrake to enable movie while driving. I heard the new ones use GPS signal to know when you are moving or not and stop the video when needed.

yes the gps ones shut the vid feed off to the main screen but it has the feature to hook up other screens (like behind the seat ones) the “shut off” does not turn off those screens off

so you take the RCA av out cable and plug it into the “rear cam input” the only downfall to duing this at the bottem of the screen is it watermarked “objects may be reversed” (you can watch the rear cam and drive at the same problem without bypassing anything)

understand?

the new kenwood nav are made by Garmin, and the nav features are identical… Talk to Chaz he can sort you through it…

Gotcha… but he plans on running a rear camera tho, lol… we were going to mount it on the rear of the 33ft trailer, make a wiring harness for it, so that will be in use… that sucks they had to put it in with the GPS… like all they needed to do was keep within compliance, a simple ground wire would still be fine… damn it!

I did like the Kenwood… Chaz where are you when I need you!!!

he said he is going to respond when he gets to the shop today

good deal!

double din or flip-out. if you want a double din i have a friend selling an eclipse avn-5495. last i heard he wanted 1500 for it. i’ll check with him and let you know. the eclipse avn7000 is a nice flipout. the only reason i would stay away from the pioneer is that you can’t watch a movie/dvd while driving. eclipse is easy to bypass. pioneer you also have to have a dvd map in the unit to get the nav.

i have avic z1 after MUCH research an cost not a factor it was/is the best unit for my needs, harddrive based smooth scrolling, ive added backupcam, sirrus,bluetooth,ipod …

the z2 is the latest version, and not much has changed, updated maping and a few quick fixs , all of which they will install for me when avail through software upgrade.

many nav systems use discs, and many that ive tested was not very smooth scrolling during maping

never understood that, when my jeep srt 8 was disc an scrolld smoothly,

my only complaint with the z1 is the bootup could be alittle faster

as for the watching dvds while driving… i do it all the time.

http://www.avic411.com great forum for pioneer units

a guy sells a bypass so that you can watch dvds while in motion,

mine didnt need the bypass as mine was gen 1 i bought it as soon as it came out. ( take off E brake, start car, while booting up, flash lights 2 times, an works fine)

a buddy just put the new Pioneer D3 only thing i didnt like about it, if your running navigation you have to have the disc in, and cannot play cds while navigation is in use, single slot

hope that helps alittle… goodluck

with the eclipse units. you still buy sirius, ipod, ect… seperately. you CANNOT use ipod and sirius on the same unit. they share the same input on the unit and you just can’t have both

Avic-Z2 $1500.00

http://carmedia1.com/

That would be my choice. or the new D3 they released.

D3 sucks balls, you cant play a cd and navi at the same time without putting in the dvd disk, getting on your way, then taking the dvd out and put a cd in… fuck that