In need of some financial/car trading advice.

Hey guys.
Came across a bit of a situation, in need of a bit of advice.

I currently own a 2012 VW golf. I’m still paying for it. I owe approx 12k on it. I’m looking to get out of my car and pick up a 335i. I found the exact car that I’m looking for located in north Carolina. He is looking to get rid of the BMW for a brand new gti.

What I wanna essentially do is take the car off him, give him my car and have him trade it in for the new gti.

He owes approx 30k on the car and the title currently has a Lien on it due to that.

What’s the best way to go about this?
Thanks

Ps. Sorry it’s a bit of a scrambled thought. If I left out something important lmk and I’m happy to answer it.

Without being an expert, here’s what I see as the ideal situation. You would let the dealership buy your car, and satisfy the lien with your bank. You’d then take the cash difference and put it toward the BMW. He sells you the BMW and puts the cash toward the new GTI. The only part that gets screwed up is the credit of the taxable sale you get when you trade a car, at least in NY. Not sure about NC. I don’t think the dealer would want to take your car as a trade on his new purchase. I could be wrong though. This is making my head hurt. I know what you want to do but it’s confusing as to how to go about it.

i went to vw of orchard park to find out what my car was worth via trade in, he told me they do it all the time where someone else trades in a car for someone else to use.

essentially the easiest thing i could think of was trading him vw for 335i then him trading my car in and saving tax, that way he can deal with all the bullshit and i can drive away in my new bmw
but i dont know how all this works out with my car still being paid for, along with his.

go to dealer he wants to work with

get car appraised

trade in towards gti

have dealership do paperwork for 335i and gti = win for sales tax that you can count as more money towards his car

how would the dealership do the paperwork for the 335? that part i dont get.

You’re going to have a hard time because technically he would have to title your car in his name then into the dealers. I’m not sure how you’d get around the titling issues.

Can’t u find a local 335i?

So what if I traded in the car under my name?

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

Haven’t really tried searching a ton. I found this one at a good price and with pretty much every option available. Haven’t been able to find anything similar on the forums. Doubt I could find one locally.

West herr had a few

Is the 335i even worth the $30k he owes? Year, miles, options?

What did VW of OP say your car is worth?

who trades in a 335 for a gti?

That’s what I was thinking.

i dont understand the idea of rolling debt on a car into more debt on another car. with selling the car to a dealer yea you pay off what is owed, but after the balance is paid off you have squat left over. so you end up with an even higher amount of debt on another car. seems like wasted money to me. you have a vw that isnt even a year old, why not just keep driving it, or, why didnt you just get the 335i in the first place?

I’d wait and find a local 335i. Not worth the headaches of dealing with both a seller and a dealership south of the Mason Dixon for a pretty common BMW. You’ll find another.

I have been stalking 335’s for a while now and locally seem to be overpriced by a decent amount.

If you expand the search to BMW dealerships out to 500 miles much better prices.

IF you trade your car in towards his, he benefits from a less taxable sale amount and you get squat.
If you sell your care to a dealer and then take that money to buy his 335 you lose out on the possibility of getting a lower taxable sale amount due to NOT trading in (you get squat)
Also sounds to me like this guy is upside-down on his loan and probably owes more than the car is worth trade-in, so if you try to buy it how’s he going to pay the difference in the loan to remove the lein for you?

I’d walk away and find a different 335. Best-case scenario is find one at a dealer that isn’t asking an unreasonable amount and work out trading in your VW so that the trade-in value comes off the taxable dollar amount on the sale. If you do this any other way you are throwing away extra money that you don’t have to. Sounds like in the end you’d be spending the same amount of money for a bigger headache working out the deal with this dude.

335’s are not rare enough to go through this kind of hassle for one.

contact the dealer he is looking to buy the gti from…tell him what you are going to buy the 335i for. Im sure they arent going to give him what you are going to pay for it. Have them resell it to you…it may cost you a few hundred dollars but may be the best route. then trade your car in on your 335i to get the tax credit.

what year is the 335i

ill look into it joe

the 335 he owes 32k on, its a 2009 with 37k, has pretty much every option i believe
-msport
-sport
-navigation with idrive
-convenience
-cold weather
-satellite radio
-bmw assist
-ipod
-rear sunshades

help me find one similar!

a guy who is tired of paying 800 a month for a car payment? thats what he claims

i was gonna go 335 originally, at the time didnt want to have such an expensive car at my age, now looking back i realized i fucked up and shoulda just gotten what i wanted, plus im impatient and couldnt find the car i wanted

i agree, talking to him and his financial advisor made me want to blow my brains all over the wall

THIS. this was the only way i could think of it possibly working, HOWEVER i wasnt sure if they would try to get a bunch more for it seeing as they have to pay off his 30k loan, but he said the dealer was only willing to give him 23 for the car.