income tax gurus, i need help

this is the first year that im going to have any kind of deductions for my return. i bought a house in november of 2007. what can i deduct from the house buying expenditures? and what kind of return should i see based on these deductions?

now that my taxes have become more complex…who would you recommend i go to in order to prepare my taxes?

i know i suck waiting till the last minute…but any help is appreciated.

the thing that i did not like also a new home owner that the money you pay in from work you dont get that if you paid more in taxes getting the house or v/v so i thought i was going to get about 4k more then i got

Turbotax and TaxCut are pretty good at going question by question and finding the standard deductions you can take for things like housing, kids etc.

With a house you’ve got:
Mortgage interest
Taxes
Probably some other stuff since you bought this year.

You might be able to deduct moving expenses if you meet the criteria that I don’t remember off the to of my head.

Either of the programs I mentioned will have the details about what you can deduct.

The only year I paid a professional was the year I did over 30k in side work in addition to my regular job and filed as a sole proprietor, moving almost every expense I had that year over to the business side to get the big deduction. That year I was afraid of getting audited because we really pushed the limits on deductions. :slight_smile:

dot

Just use TurboTurd. You can deduct mortgage interest, property taxes and points.

+1 turbotax, super easy to have it walk you through

did you guys buy the software or do it online?

Online TurboTax… premier (IIRC) covers all the deduction walkthroughs. Super easy to use and points out stuff you didnt think of.

have you really paid enough to claim more than the standard deduction? i bought my house in September and the lady who did our taxes said i was almost able to use it.

depends on what you make, but taxfreedom is turbotax for those that make under a certain amount of income.

Same turbotax software online, only its free preparation and efile for state and federal.

I have no idea why people buy software in the box for 19 bucks when anyone with an internet connection can use turbotax online.

taxfreedom only applies to people making under $30,000 AGI.

turbotax deluxe software (federal and state) is $45

turbotax deluxe online (federal and state) is $85

so unless there is a reason online is better other than the free e-file, which i dont need, im going to download the software…its $40 cheaper.

Software is a better deal if you do more than one persons taxes. If it is just you, online is perfectly fine.

Deluxe DL/CD = $44.95, efile additional
Deluve Online = $49.95 + State ($30.95), efile free

hrm, that is odd… paying for storage, since you can access it online, anywhere, year after year…