Infiniti fx35 (vq 3.5l)

hey guys i picked up an 04 infiniti fx35 these motors are quite common in the 350z and whatnot so im pretty sure one of u guys kno something, i got the car about a week ago and i noticed that this thing gets terrible gas milage, like 250-300 per tank is that common for this cuv?are these engines known for that type of gas mileage i do mostly city driving but it seems like somethings up, let me know guys,thanks

did you have it dealer inspected prior to purchasing it?

That seems very very unusual for that motor. How heavy are the FXs? A G35 gets about 500-550km a tank. I’d expect the FX to be worse, but not that much worse.

ye the car is like new 20k on it, underneath is mint, mechanic checked it out , but the gas is so bad, i filled up sat morning at 70 bux to fill , and i just checked the odomoter now its has 120km on the trip and its at half a tank :s

You have A problem for SURE

a 3rd party mechanic? an Infinity mechanic?

I only ask because that is such a new and techy car that having a dealer give it a once over is always a good idea for a big purchase.

Did you look at the milage rating for the 2008 model? prior to 2007 (IIRC) highway milage was based on 77km/h, and city based on something stupid like 40km/h

Do you have a heavy foot?

The 500-550 km on the G35 I stated are with a heavy ass foot(mid throttle, shifting at 3800, occasional pulls to 6 for kicks) and climate control on non-stop. The VQ is a very good motor for fuel economy.

at least wait until the end of the tank to see how much you’re actually going to get

i panicked when i bought my last years winter car also… it was a tercel that was supposed to get 400klm per tank or so (small tank, $25-$30 to fill it last winter) and when it was at 90klm and a half tank i started to get worried

but by the time the gas light came on i was around 400klm… sometimes thats just how it is.

hit up google for “gas mileage” and read an article or two about things you need to do to get good mileage, some of htem (like tire pressures) make a huuggeee difference, up to 15% in some cases!

worth a shot.

I wouldn’t be surprised that the gas gauge on a 15 year old Tercel is innacurate, but I would assume the gauge on an 07 Infiniti moves in a failry linear fashion.

it was an 86 thank you very much :smiley:

if it helps, the gauge on my sisters 1996 del sol is pretty non-linear also