INFORMATION NEEDED: Nissan motors

High compression plus low boost and smaller turbo could easily see all three of your criteria with a KA. Just don’t expect to go and raise the boost down the road thinking everything will be fine. And who the hell would go CA18 in anything? That’s worse than going SR. Everyone thinks that just because an engine came turbo from the factory that it must be good. No. The KA is a workhorse. The CA is fragile.

ca18’s do kinda suck and they are old. if your not trying to go rb, sr would prolly be a good choice. but your going to need full fuel system upgrade and a gt series turbo before you see 400whp. by the time u get done building a 400hp ka you will wish u would have bought an sr

TT VQ mmmm

if you want V6, VG30DETT’s are a dime a dozen…and make 300hp stock…do intake/exhaust and tune for more boost, you’re at your power goals…the price range you have is plenty enough to make it happen and with a reputable engine dealer…but if you’re starting with a platform intended for 4 banger nissan engines, i dunno if your budget will be enough to do all the custom work needed to make the V6 work…

A VQ will be a tight fit, but doable.

I’m pretty sure he’s got the fab stuff covered. FWIW.

what transmissions bolt up to them?

i have no idea…check out some of the Z boards like twinturbo.net and 300zxclub.com, you may find answers there…

or if you can make the stock TT 300ZX tranny work with whatever you’re building, do it…they’re great transmissions, can handle a shit ton of power, there’s a huge aftermarket for clutches and great flywheel choices…and the transmissions themselves i imagine wouldn’t be too hard/expensive to come by…

good luck finding a cheap 4 cyl setup that has the powerband you want

that makes perfect sense!

:snky:

The CA is a great little motor. Its basically an RB minus 2 cylinders. Cam over bucket design with great revving ability. Downfall for you would be that the CA doesn’t like to make any real power till about 3.5k but will make power as high as your wallet can afford. Factory secondary butterflies help the low end some. Essentially the same transmission as the KA/SR except it has a shorter 5th gear. Iron block with an aluninum head. Lighter then an SR by about 40 lbs IIRC. Parts are becoming a bit harder to come by but not hard to get. The internals are good for 300 hp realiable and in some cases more. Factory rated at 171 hp and liek 165 tq.

I’d say an RB20 or VG30 would be great choices.

:picard:

s13 redtop, gt2871r, 740’s, cams, injectors, maf, and a tune you should be somwhere near there.

If you want 400hp and only want to spend 3-4k then just get which ever nissan engine you can find at the best price. pretty much every nissan engine can be built to make 400hp with realitively the same mods, and similar price, it just comes down to what kind of deal you can get on picking up an engine. What ever you decide though, do a lot more research first though.

iono, i had a post deleted in this thread and i stand by what i said. this is making me mad.

first off:

this guy made 441rwhp on a stock block SR and is one of the best tuners for 7 hours in any direction on an SR. His opinion is more like a fact.

did a few people actually say the letters V and G and then ‘good’ with reference to an S-chassis?

this is the kind of thread that other forums link to and laugh at.

$4k wont get you to 400hp with any kind of reliability… 300whp? yes it can be done. SR20DET, S15 T28, 550cc injectors, AEM on MAP, FMIC, 3" all the way out… if you buy it all used you can hit $4k in these parts alone.

this is assuming you do all the work yourself, and do it right

when you get there and your car runs for about 15 minutes before over heating you can get a koyo, upgraded hoses.

when your car stops overheating and has trouble stopping when you hit 120mph REAL FAST you can spend $500 on brakes.

when your car handles like poo poo you can throw $2,500 into suspension.

in other words, a 240sx with $4k into the motor and nothing else still sucks.

you’d have way more fun with a stock KA, bucket seat, 2 way diff and coils. way less hassle, way cheaper.

your also gonna have to spend about 500$ or more for engine mounts, there is a lot of fab work involved for anything kinda outside of a sr20… still dont know what kind of car your looking at… if your in a 240 upgrade your brakes cheap with 300z calipers, rotors, good pads, then your gonna need to spend about 3k in suspension and stability… plus more labor $$$ unless you do it yourself…tune…so much shit to do
all these upgrades basically go hand in hand

theres not really such thing as a 3-4k build unless you already buy a swapped car with some mods which would end up saving you shit ton of labor money

BING FTW

lol i just wasted a shit ton of time typing :fail:

sir, i thank you for your information, but please respect my question. I have just ask for information on nissan motors. I am not building a 240, just looking for a “light” motor, i might have to make another post and ask that question.

what kind of car are you looking to swap? everything also depends on that