sr20det or ka24de

ok so this is my question what makes the sr20det red top better than the ka24de/stock 240 engine, i ask this because the 240 has a larger displacment by .4 liters, is the sr20 only better because it is stock turbo, and a better platfrom to build on or is it someother reason anyhelp would be great thanks. also what potential does the ka24de have once it is turbo charged.

A well built KA24DE(T) is going to be better than a SR20DET.

But the argument can be counter pointed back and forth so many times it’s not funny. SRs are deffinately more rev friendly and fun, KAs are more torquey. Just a matter if you like applesauce or orange juice.

ive never really looked into it, but i would assume that doing a full build on a KA + custom turbo kit, would just be way more expensive then buying an sr20, swapping, and doing some bolt on’s.

like i said i have never looked into exact prices, but thats my first thought.

also, turbo’ing a motor thats not meant for boost is never a real reliable way to make power

The thing that makes a turbo SR20 better than a stock KA24 is power and a lot of it. Plus infinitely more mod-ability.

Now if you want to compare KA24DET vs SR20DET, then as fairgentleman Z said you can argue either side as being “better.” It depends on what you want. The SR20DET seems much more common and well established in the aftermarket, but a well built KA24 can hold its own. Granted, it probably wouldn’t pull a premium before race wars, but somebody had to say it.

if ur looking into motors to swap into ur 240sx, dont forget the ca18det. little 4cyl. turbo that can be had for much cheaper then an sr20 swap, use the rest of the cash for mods and u’ll prolly be looking good

if u build a ka its liek fucking belletproof

some big diffs other than the displacement is the Ka is a cam on lifter design, no rockers, it also has an iron block, which is stronger and barely weighs more than the sr. The sr is turbo’d from the factory, but to pikc up everything you need for the swap and buy a good clean SR you can have a KA that will make alot more power. your basically looking at doing like forged pistons and rods, metal hg, head studs, prolly rod bolts too. other than that maybe some cams and your motor is going to take alot of abuse. then you just need to piece together a turbo kit/buy one and get some type of fuel managment.

and yes there is also the ca18det, which are very inexpensive, and solid motors, the aftermarket just kinda sucks because they are so much older.

there are also the RB series motors

a big thing is tho, what do you wana do with the car? drag autox road course highway king, different motors will be better for each area…

well, like said before you can argue back and forth alllllll day on this one. i guess what it comes down to is personal preference… whats your power level your looking to get?

-built for built=ka24de with turbo…why? its been proven on the racetrack and dyno

-stock for stock=sr20det…why? stock sr20det bottem end can handle 500+ wheel with proper tuning

-price for price depends on what your looking to spend…if you just want to turbo the stock ka24de there have been reports of close to 400 wheel but 300 wheel on the motor is where i would stay…and like i said earlier sr20det can make 500+ wheel all day

sr20dets are pretty industructable stock and with few mods they perform well and sound pretty good too…you can also beat the living shit out of them all day everyday

what are you trying to build the car for? is a budget build ? ect ect

between the ka24de and the sr20det i like the sr20det

ok guys thanks for all ur help, i know about rb, considered but alot more money and i would assume a swap would be far more difficult, as far as goals for building one i was considering picking up a super hicas and building an autocross, then i kinda thought building a drifter would be nice becuase i 400 horsepower is good for that, but i live less than 100 feet from the 400 (local highway) neways so i think i would want to buid a highway king, which prolly means a rb26dett would be my best bet but i don’t have the expierince to do just a engine swap so i would prolly need a front clip and i don’t have at least 4 grand to through down into a car that i won’t have even paid that much for, and as heads up i am planing on building a 89-94 240 if that makes anykind of difference, so neways what do u guys think the next best thing behind the rb would be to get for the highway

theres alos the rb25 abd rb20 man, the rb20 can be had for like 2k or less, and its not too much more work, you may need a drive shaft fabbed up ($300), and youll need mounts ($250) and possibly some exhaust work? not totally sure. and as far as going the swap, dont matter weather u get a clip or a motor set, still have to do all the same stuff, theres just a bit less sourcing parts with a front clip. i live in west seneca also and would be willing to help with the swap as long as theres liek beer and pizza involved, its rly not all that difficult, i can do the wiring too.

a side note tho, come spring, or fuck it, even sooner, ill be looking to sell my s13, it is a coupe, ca18det swap with quite a few bolt ons and i have alot of uninstalled parts to make it put down some decent power, wont be the fastest car around but thats not an easy task and hardly worth striving for lol. but yea idk, let me know if you would possibly be interested, very clean coupe, needs paint and body work tho

what body parts do you need? im parting my entire body out and its black so you dont have to paint

What would be easier? Swapping in an SR20DET or boosting the KA that’s already in there?

i’d rather work with an sr20det since its a factory turbo’d motor/ecu etc… but if your really going all out with standalone anyways, then i guess the ka would be easier since the motor can stay in

well im just gonna say one thing… go to www.240sx.org and join and make a membership there…its the biggest online inventory of knowledge on the nissan and infinity line of cars , especially the 240sx… they ahev designated pages for the SR series , the KA series and the KA-t motor builds , as well as all CA’s and Rb swaps… check em out:tup: :wiggle:

well the only thing rly beat up are the rear 1/4’s both sides… the front fenders and bumper and brand new, is your hood perfect? if so how much? and is it coupe or fastback?

and sr20drftsx dont forget about zilvia.net and 240sxforums.com they have just as much or more info

the hood is good except for a spot up by the drivers window its like inprinted and weird…let me know on a price as im parting the whole body out and yes its a coupe…even the rear 1/4’s are goin to be gone well most of them…

VQ35 swap FTW!

if i was to build a 240, i’d stick with the ka24 motor. for every article/post i’ve read saying the sr20 is better, i’ve read another one saying the ka24 is better. i think it comes down to personal taste, goals, knowledge, and budget.

sr20forum.net.

You’ll find out quick that the sr20 is pretty well favored when it comes to 240s. Stock sr20dets have around 230whp. Plus the Huge aftermarket support for the sr20.

I’ve seen KA24s make huge power aswell as sr20s. Like its been said its all personal taste. I’f i had to choose it would be sr20 or ca18.

can anyone tell me a little bit more about the ca18det :cough::cough:originalsin:cough: :cough:??

upsides?

downsides?

max power on stock bottom end?