Innovative Tuning Blog

thanks Mike…yeah I have a ‘11 sti sedan… Elevation up here is ~ 2000’ and they only have 92 oct up here :frowning:

That will do it. It looks like moving back here would save you a few grand. LOL
I believe they have E85 out there. I’m guessing that’s why they spec’d 1000cc injectors for you. With E85 you should hit low 12’s.

It was another productive spring day at Innovative Tuning. Thanks to Ian helping me in the office I have some time to get the blog going again.:tup:

I retuned Mick’s 08 STI for an external gate. He has an ATP GT3076R bolt on turbo which spooled sluggishly and didn’t perform well the way it came with the external gate. We diagnosed the issue for ATP and they swapped the housing for their EWG housing for the customer. What a difference that made. Spoolup was vastly improved and it makes a lot more power now. It actually made the same power at 18 psi with the external gate as it did at 21 psi on the internal gate.

It pegged the MAF out so I couldn’t go further than this, but I’m happy with the results.

I also tuned an 09 WRX with a Cobb BPV and TurboXS catted turbo back exhaust. This particular ran very poorly on the off the shelf mapping to the point where it was throwing codes. I loaded one of my maps from another stage 2 09 WRX and it needed considerable adjustment on my map as well. A couple hours later it runs great and made excellent power for how close to stock it is.

We installed a nitrous kit on a sneaky car and set it up on the dyno. It ended up liking a 125 nitrous jet and 100 fuel jet.

Our staff also installed a boost gauge in a 2nd gen DSM, replaced spark plugs in a Legacy GT turbo, and continued putting an engine assembly together on the stand for an 05 STI receiving one of our built engine packages.

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

Here’s a shot of some of the cars we worked on today. We have a little bit of everything today…single turbo 4 cylinder, twin turbo 6 cylinder, twin turbo 8 cylinder (Subaru STI, Nissan GT-R, Audi RS6).

We installed some goodies on the 09 STI and I just tuned it. I’m really happy with the results on this car. The owner was driving on a map from another company which he had all sorts of stumbling and hiccuping issues on. This was a case where we checked the car over mechanically and it really was a tuning issue. It’s totally smooth now.

We know the cat back is a restriction on upgraded turbos, but this car confirmed my suspicion that cat backs don’t offer significant gains on the 08-10 STI hatches while running a stock turbo.

The car is run at Watkins Glen International Raceway as well as being a daily driver so I made Oliver a street/strip map and a road course specific map which both have different boost options selectable via the SI-Drive system.

More pics of the 09 STI:

Time for the Skyline GT-R:

GT-R and Audi RS6:

Today we were just baselining the GT-R to give the owner an idea of how the car compares to the modified Toyota Supra we’ve worked on for him over the years. In the future we’ll be taking care of some cooling issues these cars have so it’s ready for some extra power and track days at Watkins Glen.

The car tested very well for stock and was nice and consistent so it’s a great start:

A customer also had his 05 STI which we’ve never worked on towed in today to diagnose a noise coming from the engine bay. At first we found this which was making quite a racket. The alternator bolt was falling out and the brackets were banging around:

Unfortunately after that noise was fixed we ran the car a little longer at idle and a different noise became audible. It sounded like a damaged rod bearing. We pulled the engine oil dip stick and it has metal flakes all over it so there’s a seriously internal engine issue.

I’m not going to say what kind of oil the customer was using online because of the legal ramifications, but we’ve seen customers have nothing but problems including oil consumption and bearing failures with this oil.

We started diagnosis on the Audi RS6 twin turbo V8 right before closing and found the intercoolers are both leaking. We also spotted a few other issues in the process, but we need to get into it further tomorrow.

mike,

any plans for a dyno day? i am just curious as to what kinda numbers the 996 is putting out…

I don’t have one set at the moment. Once the weather gets nicer I’ll put something together. The dyno is available by appointment any time if you want to get it done sooner.

Awesome work Mike! I need to come visit you. I need some parts!

Are you gonna let my pig on the dyno, pls?

Sounds good man.

I can’t keep up with you. What are you driving now? :slight_smile:

From Irwindale, California over the weekend:
Randy Zimmer whipped up a Miata, we tuned it last week Monday, he started the drive to California Tuesday, went up against the best and took second place in the 2WD Rallycross finals!

Info here:
Rally America

Results for 2WD:
http://www.rally-america.com/VenueFiles/2011_IRWIN_2WD%20Results%20Final.pdf

On course at the event:

At our shop last week:

Of course it was towed to California with an Impreza wagon.

VIDEO of the finals:

Congrats Randy!

Jeep GC SRT8… all time AWD. Bone stock, just looking for a baseline. Should be a little more than half of what the car put down… so right about what Choda did on your dyno. hahaha

Mike got a GTR huh, does he still have the supra?

Did you ever get that 2010 MS3 up on your dyno?

PMing you Jack.

We did. It made more than I expected so I’m glad we did it. I still want to get a Gen 1 on the dyno.

He sold it and bought the GTR. He’s been missing AWD for a while.

There is hardly any differences between a gen 1 and gen 2 MS3…maybe some in the way they’re tuned, though.

Nice work Mike, I know Randy is crazy, glad to hear he is doing well.

X…

The GT-R baseline power is pretty good :slight_smile: Might get a used one later on :slight_smile: I will need to see you soon Mike.

yea not much difference. my car seemed to do pretty well. definitely going to purchase a cobb accessport from you guys one of these days and begin a small bolt on build.

This has me worried on my oil choice that I’ve been using!

We finished Jason’s STI and he took the train up from Brooklyn to pick it up today.

Jason purchased the car used and pre-modded. Unfortunately he quickly realized it wasn’t running well and a shop local to him diagnosed that the engine was damaged, among other issues. He brought it to us for repairs and we rebuilt his shortblock with the rods, pistons and bearings found in our stage 2+ shortblock. We rebuilt the heads, install a Dom2.5R turbo, Perrin FMIC, DW injectors, ACT clutch and other supporting mods. Currently the car is running on a tune designed for engine break in and he’ll be back next week for us to look everything over and crank up the boost.

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Here are some other pictures from around the shop over the past couple days. I’ll try to get more up tomorrow.

Subaru’s keeping us busy :tup::tup::tup:

Well I guess that helps explain why my car has been sitting there for over a week.