Innovative Tuning Legacy Turbo Pro Rally Car

The end of an era has arrived. I haven’t had much time to drive this car since I bought it years ago so it’s time to pass it on to someone who has the time to use it.

http://innovativetuningdl.com/images/ShopCar/AngleWLtBarRSWheels.jpg

This is a 1991 Subaru Legacy Sport Sedan turbocharged Production GT class car which last saw pro level rally action in 2004 because at that point I bought it, daily drove it for a year or two and then didn’t have any time for it because the shop got so busy. It was logbooked at that time. I did a rallyX with it, and autoX, and last winter I did a TSD rally with it and spun a bearing which it was due for.

I decided to rebuild the entire longblock rather than just fixing the problem so it’s 100%. After the full rebuild which includes all new bearings, rings, polishing, balancing the rotating assembly, rebuilding the heads, new valve seals, etc. we started the engine up, let it run for 25 minutes, did the initial oil change and filter inspection, tested the engine, fired it back up, bled the coolant and I drove it a few doors down and back just to make sure everything was safe.

For those who don’t know, the Legacy Sport Sedan trim level (called the Legacy RS abroad) was made for homologation purposes from 91-94 so Subaru could use it for rally. They were driven by the likes of Colin McRae in WRC. Here’s an example:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/leebo797/Subaru%20Article/61_subaru_legacy_rs_5551993.jpg

This car has the famed EJ22T closed deck turbo Subaru engine. I ran this same type of engine bone stock in another one of my Legacies at 33 psi for a while with absolutely no issues. They’re awesome. We have taken care of all maintenance including installing new belts, plugs, etc. during this rebuild because I want everything in order for whoever buys it.

Some major points of interest are:
full custom rally cage - $3000+ new
DSM 50mm Rally coilovers - Over $5000 new
Multi piece under body armor including rally grade 3/8" aluminum front skid plate, LDPE skidplates covering fuel tank, rear suspension, transmission, front control arms, custom aluminum rear differential skidplate, front and rear control arm gaurds - Well over $1000 new
Removeable light Bar with 4 PIAA 7" HID rally lights - Around $1000 new
Fully rebuilt EJ22T engine - $3000
Sparco Evo and Sparco Sprint Seats with brackets and 3" racing harnesses - $1400 new

As you can see it adds up quickly and this isn’t including the ton of custom work involved in prepping a rally car.

Some of the other mods include:
Terratrip rally computer
Terracon intercom system for driver and co-driver with transit headphones
3" turbo back exhaust
racing wheel
It has mounts for the included tool box, tow strap box with strap, fire extinguisher, and first aid kit. The extinguisher has been tested and recharged and the first aid kit is new.
MRT combo boost gauge / turbo timer
upgraded bushings
LSD rear end
rally mud flaps
manual brake conversion and rebiased braking
fresh belts and plugs
carbon fiber switch panel for the rally lights
reinforced strut towers
beefy vehicle recovery points
short shifter
aluminum firewall separating cabin from trunk
dual spare tire mount
ACT clutch
hood pins and auxilliary trunk latches
and so much more

If you actually add the mods up they easily exceed 20 grand aside from the hundreds of hours of labor that go into building a car like this and then hundreds of hours of testing and tweaking it. There’s no question that whoever buys the car is getting an awesome deal. It’s just a question of whether the car is right for you or not. I daily drove this car for around a year and loved every minute of it, but as a street car it’s not for everyone. This is a race car after all.

A/C and the stereo have been removed for weight reduction, but it has heat and it’s a blast to drive. It’s currently sitting on 15" Subaru alloys with snow tires.

The car is available either by itself or with a big spares package including STACKS of wheels with rally tires, extra transmissions which are rebuildable, a fiberglass hood, a parts car which also has a clean title, spare belts, bearings, plugs, suspension components and so much more. Anyone interested is welcome to look over the spares in addition to the car.

The engine will need to be broken in just like a brand new car would, but the car is otherwise ready to slide, jump, or whatever else you might do with it.

Asking price with all the extra wheels and spares is $9500.
The asking price without spares is $7500 and the new owner gets to pick which set of wheels they want on it out of my rally spares, except for my OZ gravel rally wheels with Pireli rally tires which are almost new and rather pricey. These ARE included in the price if you buy the car with all the spares.

The car and spares package are at the shop for anyone that wants to check it out. If anyone has questions please let me know.

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

Some interested parties had me take pictures of some specific things so here’s some extra pics. If anyone seriously interested wants pictures of something just let me know.

I forgot we updated it to the newer style higher output alternator and that’s almost new, but you can see it here along with the shiny block/heads from the fresh rebuild.

Mike you have so many toys man, crazy.

I wanna get a light bar like that for my gvr4, so dark out in the sticks where i live and so many deer,

glws, this is a sweet car man

ugh. No navigation?

Navigation goes in the seat on the right. :slight_smile:

These are tough, tough little cars and Mike’s known far and wide for his quality work. Someone’s going to get a good car here.

Just hopefully not the female gender!!! : )

You’d be surprised. Check out Natalie Richard, Chrissie Beavis, etc.

Oh man, this looks like so much fun!

Glws mike

I took a picture of the last entries in the logbook, some under the car shots and in the trunk with the recovery strap holder and took box open. They’re both bolted down so they don’t move. You can also see one of the included extinguishers bolted in place which I recently had tested and filled.

We cut the old cat off and will weld a fresh cat or muffler at the back of the exhaust for the new owner. Your choice.

under body armor overview
http://innovativetuningdl.com/images/ShopCar/legacySSRallyCar/UnderCar1.jpg

front control arm cover
http://innovativetuningdl.com/images/ShopCar/legacySSRallyCar/UnderCar2.jpg

http://innovativetuningdl.com/images/ShopCar/legacySSRallyCar/Trunk2.jpg

http://innovativetuningdl.com/images/ShopCar/legacySSRallyCar/Trunk3.jpg

Logbook:
http://innovativetuningdl.com/images/ShopCar/legacySSRallyCar/Logbook1.jpg

rear covers for gas tank, rear diff, rear suspension links
http://innovativetuningdl.com/images/ShopCar/legacySSRallyCar/UnderCar3.jpg

Recovery strap in it’s box and toolbox, both bolted down.
http://innovativetuningdl.com/images/ShopCar/legacySSRallyCar/Trunk1.jpg

Part of the optional spares package:

21 Wheels with tires mounted by themself:

One picture of the top wheel/tire on each stack:

21 Wheels with tires mounted and 20 tires not mounted.

you are giving this away, seriously giving it away.

Wait til you see the list of other parts that comes with the spares package. We’re cataloging the stuff tomorrow morning. Transmissions, axles, brake pads, rotors, top hats, rally lights, timing belt, water pump, ignition coil, etc. etc.

I totally would winter DD this thing. But a little outa my price range. Awesome for the whole package.

I received a deposit on this last night. It was sizable and the purchaser lives far away so I’ve given them a month to pick it up and pay the balance. It they fall through I will update or repost this. I’ll add the info on the spares anyways just in case.

I met Natalie at the STPR last year she was really nice and I think her team won the event and Rally America last year. It looks like somebody is lucky to get this steal. Good luck with the sale Mike.

Here’s what we cataloged so far for the spares package. Parts are used and in unknown condition unless otherwise specified. I never took most of this stuff out of the box let alone tested it because things didn’t break…which is a good thing.

21 wheels off car with tires on them
4 blue Subaru alloys with Michelin gravel tires
6 yellow Subaru alloys with pirelli xr50 tires)
4 Gold OZ Racing Rally Alloys with Michelin ZER80 Gravel tires - almost new
7 yellow subaru alloys with Michelin gravel tires
20 tires off wheels
fiberglass hood with scoop
stock airbox with elbow
stock airbox without elbow
2 MAF sensors
pair of stock fog lights
2 sets rear brake pads
3 sets front brake pads
4 unknown axles
extra upper coolant reservoir with AN fitting adapted to it
3 power steering pumps (1 new, 2 used)
power steering pump bracket
battery cable to starter
stock fuel rails with stock injectors
rally computer speed pickup (new)
5 strut top hats (3 rear, 2 front)
slave cylinder
brake booster
front rotors
2 rally lights…not sure on brand
strut top hat (new)
water pump (new)
timing belt (new)
2 ignition coils (only 1 required for car)
1 pair metal master front brake pads (new)
1 pair metal master rear brake pads (new)
1 pair rear lower bushings/mounts for front control arms
1 set plug wires
Timing tensioner (new)
Tensioner pulley (new)
cogged water pump idler pulley (new)
accessory belt
pair light bulbs (new)
3" 3 bolt exhaust gasket
2 Legacy Sport Sedan 5 speed transmissions - rebuildable
1 pair front control arms
intake manifold with coil and rails
air filter
intake resonation chamber
1 pair rebuildable EJ22T cylinder heads
junk turbo with actuator on it, turbine housing and oil drain pipe
MRT boost cut defender
stock MAP sensor and solenoid
2 sets engine mounts
brake master cylinder w/reservoir
complete turbo (needs rebuild)

I will never forget you powering down the straight at the autoX at winged warior all four tires spinning. the reaction of the people around me was priceless. I have it on video somewhere. I love this car!

haha that was sweet but that was my 96 Coupe. When that car comes back out it will have big sticky tires so hopefully there won’t be any smoke shows. :slight_smile:

I forgot to mark this sold…

congrats mike.