inspection question

That’s your EVAP system’s pump. It should be in the engine compartment near the purge solenoid. Probably driver side fender (not positive)Make sure all lines are ok to it, and the wiring.

lol, the first time you talked to me, my stupid rubbed off on u

Could also be something as stupid as a gas cap.

After doing some research I came across that. Not many sites list that as a potential problem. :gtfo:

while the inspection deal is still up.
i have a mustang with a dent in the drivers door, about 5 inches in diameter into the drivers door form the back quarter panel that has about 3 inches then a scrap mark,(total dent space= about 10 inches.) will that effect the inspection of the vehicle? the dent is not that deep, and does not effect the way the door moves, everything still works, fine?

Probably not. That’s usually P0442, “Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)”.

I know because a buddy used to stop by to clear this code from his truck all the time until he got a new cap.

Until a certain year (around 2003), you are allowed something like 2 monitors in the unready state. That’s how I got my Jeep inspected. It was throwing a code for the DS O2. I cleared the codes with my scan tool, drove a bit to get the monitors ready and ended up having 5 ready and 1 untested (cat). Passed no problem. CEL came on during the drive home.

1996-2000 you can have 2 unset monitors
2001 up you can have 1 unset

fyi 2008/9 when they become elligible for OBDII(2010) will be 0, all monitors will have to be set

-Dent has nothing to do with inspection btw

yea but more often than not its related to a seal or vaccum thats broken somewhere, so he was just saying it COULD be something as simple as. Net everyone who has a website knows everyhting about cars. :gtfo: :gtfo:

The way it detects a leak varies but typically it uses a vacuum or air operated pump to pull/push a diaphragm pump. The other side of the diaphragm tries to pull vacuum on the evap system or pressurize it.

Once triggered it looks at the state of the pressure switch. If within a period of time the switch closesor not it means there is a leak and it then cycles a number of times again and measures the cycle time to determine the size of the leak. On a Jeep I think it mesures how long the pump runs to determine the size of the leak.

To me that code suggests that the switch is always closed. That could be a massive leak right in the area of the evap cannister or a bad switch. You can check the switch yourself with a simple ohmmeter. With the engine off, it should be open. If not you have your culprit.

Check with your respective service manual to verify this is how YOUR evap system works. As I said they vary, but all follow the same basic idea. For example your switch may be closed then under vacuum/pressure, opens.

Then you have a pre 96 vehicle. Pretty tough otherwise. Software won’t allow it. Unless you got lucky and drove it just enough to reset the drive monitors (can have 2 not set for that year) and before the CEL came back on.

Well to begin with yesterday I just replaced the gas cap since it was only $7 as a starting point. Erased the code and so far so good :tup:

Good luck, but my money is on it coming back based on the code you were throwing. I think it has the throw the code twice to activate the light and may take a full drive cycle to even hit all the sensors.