INSTALL LSD

Anyone want to install my LSD for me? Free beer and food sound good? Or atleast show me how to do it myself so I know in the future? I’m strapped for cash and dont know if I can afford a real mechanic to do it…hehe

Thanks
Kendrick

If you have the right tools it is really not that hard. It also depends on your exhaust setup (stock, straight pipe). To be honest, I did mine in about 8 hours. I was missing bolts, and had to drive 2x to the Home depot to get the right sizes. That took 2h. I also have a straight pipe exhaust and had to figure out how to drop it around the exhaust system. Other than that it is pretty straight forward. I can send you the steps on how to do it if you want, and the problems I had when I did mine. I just did mine 2 weeks ago. I might even be able to help you out if you decide to do it when I dont have work or something. Pm me and we’ll talk. Peace

He’s not actually changing pumpkins (ie. open diff. to VLSD) but installing an aftermarket LSD. Am I right K?

Im going from a stock VLSD to a clutch type 2 way. Installation shouldnt be hard but I have no tools and too scared to attempt it myself right now. I need support…hehe. The piping for my exhaust shouldnt be in the way.

Anyone have install instructions for this that I can browse through?

You can check out the current issue of “Import Racer” - July 2004 pg 76…
they show the steps of a Kaaz LSD install… mind you they’re missing a few steps and you don’t see all the specialty tools you need…

After checking the FSM… eek!.. the install isn’t for the faint of heart or at least those without tools… Heck, I don’t think most garages carry the stuff you need… i.e. Dial indicator… mind you my buddy bought one for his shop… and some gear pullers and a press…

The FSM definitely shows you what you need to know and do… K, if you need the manual for your car I can get you a copy.

Who did Alberto’s?? felix? why not ask him?

I’ll ask the tranny shop next to my buddy’s shop in KW for what they’ll charge… I think around $300… though maybe I can get you an after hours deal if the pumpkin is just dropped off for a few days…

BTW, don’t forget to get some new bearings as well!!

How can you afford a clutch type 2-way but not a couple hours of labour for a decent mechanic?

LSD=$1000
labour=$70/hr

Cause we are cheap bastards and spent all the money we have on the
LSDs… :slight_smile:

Kendrick my Kaaz 2 way will be comming within a couple weeks, so we
should install them together…

Its not hard from what I’ve heard, you just need all the tools (which i
think I have), we could do it in a Saturday.

Cause we are cheap bastards and spent all the money we have on the
LSDs… :slight_smile:

Kendrick my Kaaz 2 way will be comming within a couple weeks, so we
should install them together…

Its not hard from what I’ve heard, you just need all the tools (which i
think I have), we could do it in a Saturday.[/quote]

Damn, now its time for me to be a cheap bastard:

Do you have a stock VLSD coming off the car?
If so, can I call dibs?

As someone has already mentioned this is not a simple install. It is very imprrtant to make sure that the crown and pinion are enagging correctly, and that he backlash and other clearances are set correctly. This isn’t something that should be done with the pumpkin in the car even …

If this isn’t done preperly your $1000 diff won’t last long.

-Martin.

Martin’s right. If the backlash isn’t set properly, you can kiss your LSD goodbye very soon. This is something I wouldn’t even attempt unless I was under the supervision of someone who has experience with these things.

If you really want to save some money, remove the pumpkin and take it to a shop to have it done properly. Then install it back on the car once it’s ready. That should save you a bit of coin. Remember to keep everything organized, and change any bushings if you get a chance.

Kendrick, I’d probably recommend taking it to a shop so it’s done right. If anything goes wrong, you know you can take it back instead of greaving over a shitty job gone wrong.