Insurance: Warning to those who Autocross...

I found this on another forum and found it interesting nonetheless. Not sure if its just Geico but others may do the same thing. Also maybe could happen with drag racing?

This is a warning to everyone.

I just got off the phone with my insurance company (Geico) and they informed me that as of the end of the month my insurance policy is being cancelled. Why might you ask I haven’t had an accident. No moving violations in several years.

The answer:

“We have found out that you have participated in time trial events.”

I tried to reason with the lady, and explain to her that I haven’t even autocrossed with my Subaru (the car I have insured with them) and that the SCCA has their own liability insurance for their events. She told me it didn’t matter there was nothing she could do and that it was final as of 12:01 AM Jan. 28 2008 I would no longer be covered.

I guess they searched results on the internet and found my name. I have heard of this being a problem with warranties in the past but after 4 years of autocrossing with my other company (Liberty Mutual) I had never had a problem.

So I am writing here to warn all of you that if you have Geico, cancel your policy now. They do not respect us for what we do, and therefore I believe do not deserve a single dime from anyone.

I can see why they might hesitate with this issue as some people can’t leave it on the track, but the vast majority of autocrossers are responsible enough to not do this. If anything we are lowering the accident rate through improving our driving skills.

wow…thats pretty gay

thats a kick in the nuts

I told my insurance that my car is pretty much going to be track punished…and they had no issues (Erie Ins)

Thanks for the heads up. The general consensus I’ve seen with many autocrossers is don’t ever mention it to your insurance company. Alot of them I know won’t even ask their current company what their policy is in the first place to keep suspicions down. A few years ago I had a friend who raced locally get into a fender bender on the street. His car was pretty much stock, but carried two really small SCCA stickers on the side windows. A week after a insurance rep came to look the car over he got his estimate in the mail. Also with the estimate was several pamphlets regarding their polices on “Timed competition events”. He never heard anything after that, but he made sure never to mention it either.

SCCA’s own insurance covers a good bit of stuff, pretty nice thing to have just for signing a little waiver at every event.
http://www.scca.com/documents/insurance/2007%20Insurance%20Handbook.pdf

Geico is a fucked up company. Always has been. I would never give them a dime of my money. They once tried to deny insurance if you owned a radar detector. They have done a lot of really shitty things…i can’t believe anyone would insure with them.

Gayco is the worst insurance company for anyone that does anything but drive carefully from point A to point B in a 4-cylinder gas-sipping shitbox.

I wouldn’t get Geico just because of that stupid lizard.

I love the commercials

wow thats gay… i didnt think anyone would really try to get Geico

well thank god to that

hmm my post got deleted,

anyway i’m glad i have erie insurance. i dont autocross but i’d love to try it someday when the car is built

erie is pretty laid back as far as I can tell. that’s who I have and they didn’t have any problems paying for some aftermarket corner lenses that I had on my car the time i wrecked

wonder when they’re gonna start searching for modded cars on websites like cardomain?

employers look at myspace, it’s pretty much the same deal

in this thread…

and

in devin’s thread about his key fob…

and that def sucks to be that kid. go back to liberty mutual. thats who i have for my house two cars and my bike. and they are fair on everything also.

whats a REAL kick in the nuts is he autocrosses a THIRDGEN CAMARO and GEICO insures his SUBARU!!! Geico dropped the SUBBY coverage because he autox the camaro which may not be under the same insurance…waiting for him to respond to a post.

WOW