Intercooler question

Maybe im on crack right now but hers the question

I was doing some research on intercooler kits and my setup and i was noticing that the greedy/ER kits come with the a BOV flanged hot pipe. I thought that you were suposed to have the BOV on the cold side/intake.
OR does it not matter at all.
I would think it does because if it was on the hot side you would be releasing warmer air into the engine bay that would be likely to re enter at the intake. Or the amount of air released through the BOV is minimal and would have minuet effects

just a thought let me know what you think or if im on crack :stuck_out_tongue:

cold side - you want to get it closer to the throttle body

ide imagaine youde want hot side to release air closer to the turbo so you dont have as much backpressure in the piping right up against the turbine

this is just a guesstimate

its true… one reason the factory put the re-circ valve on the hotside.

why people want it on the coldside/close to the TB is beyond me… when you let off the gas and the TB closes, pressure will bounce off the throttle plate and back to the turbo. Dumping the pressure close to the TB doesnt dump any of the pressure on the other side of the system near the turbo so there for, its all going to go into the compressor and stall the fan slightly etc…

but if its as close to the turbo as possible then it will dump/vent all the pressure on that side instead of it bouncing back into the turbo…

There was a discussion on FA about this being total BS, yes its said the closer to the TB the better bleh bleh bleh, go search it if you’d like but i can tell you it makes Zer0 difference.

I suggest putting the BOV on the hot side, and recirculate the bad boy.

i could care less to search

ive always mounted hot side

like i said in my post, guesstimate

just making it clear :slight_smile:

sweet thanks guys helped alot

Well there is a lot of controversy here.

I am a proponent of putting it near the compressor.

The throttle body argument:
When the throttle plate closes, the air’s velocity is moving through the intercooler towards the throttle body. If the BOV opens at the instant the throttle plate closes, the inertial load of the air will continue to carry the compressed air out of the BOV. When the throttle plate closes the air already has “forward” velocity and the car will experience improved throttle response as a result. However, this is detrimental to your turbo (i’ll explain more later)

The compressor outlet argument:
The key here, is damping and delay. One folly it seems that TB-ers note is “putting it by the compressor outlet will vent twice the amount of air. The compressed air in the intercooler and the air coming out of the turbo” Let’s expunge this right away because nothing different is happening regarding how much air is vented at either location. (to a degree… you’ll just have to take my word for it).

Now, that aside, back to damping.
A BOV is a device with, inherent to it’s design, it’s own momentum and inertia, in that it takes a split second to open after the throttle plate is closed. What happens in this split second between the operation of the two devices is the generation of a pressure wave. It’s hard to quantify, but it’s surprising how damaging and intense these waves can be. Now, these pressure waves are going to be generated regardless of where you place the BOV. Assuming that we can’t stop the formation these damaging waves, we need to destroy them or dispose of them.

When the BOV is located close the the throttle body, the pressure wave is created, but the wave still travels back through the rushing air. Just as if you were to put a compression wave into a slinky that’s in a moving car. This wave, despite the fact that it’s moving against the airstream will continue, unabated until it reaches the compressor wheel, disrupting it’s rotation.

Now let’s look at this scenario with the BOV place on the cold side. In this case, the air exiting the BOV is that of a converging airstream, in that it’s venting compressed air located in the IC and cold piping as well as the air still being forced from the turbo’s compressor. What’s happening here is a bit of turbulence at the convergence actually helps to kill the pressure wave. Also, since the pressure wave is part of the exiting air stream, it will tend to exit with the venting air. This all adds up to longer life for your expensive snail.

~ciao!

main reason i’m a fan of the journal bearing and not the BB… if or when it does go, rebuild cost is fuck all vs a BB

wow thanks newman, very very informative, makes sense to me

Either one is fine. Mine is on the hotpipe. Just put it on the hotpipe, it’s a lot easier.