Interest Check: Performance true manual rack for s13 and s14

Str8ryd… I think it go perfectly with the rest of my car. Its very pleasant to drive. As I said, much, much quicker. Has that slightly “nervous”, “quiveriing and ready” feel that older Porsches had at highway (70-90) speeds. Around backroad curves it turns like a Lotus Exige right now thank you.

Prometheus… I have gone over maybe two smaller potholes. No issues. And there is no backlash or kickback at all. When its absolutely dead stopped and you need to turn it, there’s some effort. Once its rolling at all, there’s no issue. Low speed maneuverability is fine. No one has mentioned any required maintenance and there are no fittings to “lube” it. Its just an old fashioned manual rack a la the 60’s.
. .

I don’t know the ratio, but gave asked. Will report tomorrow. It is 2.4 turns lock to lock.

I love the unit. I have about 1000 miles on it and only love it. As I said before, there’s a bit of effort at dead stop parking speeds, but way less effort than any conversion. It makes the car feel like a Lotus Exige. Much much different than stock or conversion. Turn in is way faster. You think it and it does it. Its like driving a bike. You have to stay very focused or you’d be in the weeds.

There is also a lot of feel, but as I think I said, no vibration at all. It mounts much more solidly than the stock rack and I think that causes the subframe to absorb a lot of little none road related vibration that came from the mounting.

Gordon

Then another guy bought it and said the following:

Well i got the rack installed today and i have to admit that is a huge different from stock, the car feel like a big go-kart. the steering is very precise and smooth with no play at all just point and turn.

I highly recommend this upgrade for the ones that are into drifting or auto crossing

Glad you like it. I couldn’t find any better words to use than the same ones you used – smooth and precise – but it really doesn’t do justice to the way it feels, does it? Its like a Rolex… or the wheel that locks a bank vault door. Like you said, no play at all. I think its the CNC machining.

I know that Jon has sold at least 7 racks over here, but don;t know anyone else who has installed theirs other than you and I. Like Bewtew said, its almost a must-have upgrade if you’re racing and I think its the best change I could feel other than the motor. Shocks and springs make a difference you can feel, but you are holding the steering wheel all the time and its what communicates the road to you. You feel the difference all the time.

It definitely doesn’t Gordon… my car feels like a very fast go-kart and i love it. i was a little skeptical about the price of the rack but every time i drive my car and take a turn it puts a big smile on my face . i love my car and this steering rack has made me love it even more.

i find it the best for autox… is def not like the power steering feeling you find in your daily driver but is def very smooth and precises with no play what so ever. i’m still running the gigantic 380mm stock wheel which i hate and still feels very good… my next step is installing a 350mm wheel and that should make it feel even better

the Maval is better than the looped line, neither compares with the AtomicRex rack. It is better than a Porsche manual rack or any other production manual rack I think because of how well machined it is. The effort might be one half of what it is with the Maval rack and one fourth the effort of a looped line converted rack. There is very little effort required.

If you come to the Carlisi event, you can try mine and see.

There’s also a drift version in the works

Following the success of our manual steering rack

I have been asked by Thurston to put together a LHD version with a little more travel for the drift cars. The work is being started next week, and should take approx 4-6 weeks for the rack to emerge.

The new rack will be the same speed, but have approx 40% extra travel. This will allow you to avoid using complicated methods of achieving extra lock.

If anyone is interested then I will order a couple more.

To put it another way, assume that your stock rack will turn your front wheels to a 45* angle. This modified rack will allow them to go to, say 52*. On a drift car, this extra angle will allow the car to be even more sideways in a slide becasue the front wheels have the range of motion to continue pointing in the intended direction.

On a street car it would/should allow you to make an even smaller turn radius. You may have to trim the fenderwell to accommodate this though. The OP can probably verify that though.

Hope this helps

i installed the rack yesterday and i was doing some minor drifting in a empty parking lot to test it out and the rack is very very smooth and responsive just point and turn

Due to the extra machining required for both the extended rack bar, housings and pinion bar the new rack will be £890.
(oh mama – but i dont care for drifting lol)

I am the person who requested this rack be made.

A manual rack for drifting or anything for that matter should not be hard at all. My ae86 has a manual rack and I have no problem with it. Granted the fd is heavier but if your setup is correct I don’t believe it will make a difference. Remember not to run too wide a front tire, use a good sticky compound possibly a semi slick in a 215 or 225 and you will have more front grip than 99% of you will need for drifting.

I was also looking at modifying my knuckles but this rack is an infinitely better option.

i run 245 up front and i felt fine for me… but i also got big arms and forearms

There’s also a drift version in the works

Following the success of our manual steering rack

I have been asked by Thurston to put together a LHD version with a little more travel for the drift cars. The work is being started next week, and should take approx 4-6 weeks for the rack to emerge.

The new rack will be the same speed, but have approx 40% extra travel. This will allow you to avoid using complicated methods of achieving extra lock.

If anyone is interested then I will order a couple more.

To put it another way, assume that your stock rack will turn your front wheels to a 45* angle. This modified rack will allow them to go to, say 52*. On a drift car, this extra angle will allow the car to be even more sideways in a slide becasue the front wheels have the range of motion to continue pointing in the intended direction.

On a street car it would/should allow you to make an even smaller turn radius. You may have to trim the fenderwell to accommodate this though. The OP can probably verify that though.

Hope this helps

i installed the rack yesterday and i was doing some minor drifting in a empty parking lot to test it out and the rack is very very smooth and responsive just point and turn

Due to the extra machining required for both the extended rack bar, housings and pinion bar the new rack will be £890.

(oh mama – but i dont care for drifting lol)

I am the person who requested this rack be made.

A manual rack for drifting or anything for that matter should not be hard at all. My ae86 has a manual rack and I have no problem with it. Granted the fd is heavier but if your setup is correct I don’t believe it will make a difference. Remember not to run too wide a front tire, use a good sticky compound possibly a semi slick in a 215 or 225 and you will have more front grip than 99% of you will need for drifting.

I was also looking at modifying my knuckles but this rack is an infinitely better option.

i run 245 up front and i felt fine for me… but i also got big arms and forearms

Ahmed wtf

It’s nice that you’re trying to do this for the community and all, but, seriously for the millionth time… SHOULDN’T YOU BE BANNED?

Whens the cut-off date?

There’s no cut off date, however, the more we get authentic buyers/interest the cheaper it’ll be, the faster itll happen.

1. a_ahmed (me)
  2. Thomas (son240)
  3. Darth (son240)
  4. Tre240sx (son240)
  5. racepar1 (zilvia/nrr)
  6. asoomal (nico)
  7. noobdrftr (nico)
  8. legit240sx (nico)
  9. gnvarnadore (nico)
  10. DirtyGhettoKids (nico)
  11. Steve Lloyd (nico)
  12. eidk (nico)
  13. scooby305 (nico)
  14. Az24tsx (nico)

etc…

1. a_ahmed (me)
  2. Thomas (son240)
  3. Darth (son240)
  4. Tre240sx (son240)
  5. racepar1 (zilvia/nrr)
  6. asoomal (nico)
  7. noobdrftr (nico)
  8. legit240sx (nico)
  9. gnvarnadore (nico)
  11. Steve Lloyd (nico)
  12. eidk (nico)
  13. scooby305 (nico)
  14. Az24tsx (nico)
  15. Drifter262 (nico)
  16. fraktal (freshalloy)

etc…

and how is your post count going up so quickly

Can we get a solid commitment from the admins to ban him when the GB goes through (or falls through)?

solarian you won’t be a part of the group buy even if you want it. You’re a homo. Clearly I dont give a shit about your existence. After all you’re the representation of what made me hate son240, clueless useless pricks. Afterall I have ‘taurus brakes’ and an automatic… oh and ‘i just got coilovers’. Clearly you still know much about me.

FYI, banning me will just result in me creating another account. Grow the fuck up?

Are you on here to talk about 240sx or to yank each other’s dicks like a homo?

1. a_ahmed (me)
  2. Thomas (son240)
  3. Darth (son240)
  4. Tre240sx (son240)
  5. racepar1 (zilvia/nrr)
  6. asoomal (nico)
  7. noobdrftr (nico)
  8. legit240sx (nico)
  9. gnvarnadore (nico)
  11. Steve Lloyd (nico)
  12. eidk (nico)
  13. scooby305 (nico)
  14. Az24tsx (nico)
  15. Drifter262 (nico)
  16. fraktal (freshalloy)
  17. Grim_Fandango(nico)
  18. Simmode1 (nico)

etc…

clearly no one wants you here. why do you keep coming back with fake accounts?
how many forums have you been banned on? wipe the retard off your face and realize you should just peace.

I’m not going to commit 100%… but if my GTR sells I’ll be building a more track oriented S chassis and would be very interested.

Keep the ahmed hating BS out of this thread… I’m not the biggest fan of him either but he’s trying to do a good thing for the community here. If he flakes out on the group buy then feel free to insult… until then keep it to yourself, haha.

That’s fine if you want the rack you won’t be a part of the group buy like solarian :slight_smile:

I don’t like you either and I don’t know you but I don’t like you because of your asshole attitude. I am banned on son240 for obviously ebattling with select losers. I am also banned on zilvia for insulting and fighting with US soldiers while majority of zilvia mods are us military.

Keep your brilliant misinformation services to yourself, after all i have an automatic with taurus brakes and Im banned on every forum in the world
because you know son240 is the whole world.

Not that I care if you care, but if you dont grow the fuck up ill speak the same way back to you. If you grow the fuck up, youll be talked to nicely. In the meantime stfu and mind your business.

Fobwall who initiated alot of bs fighting and I have made peace, now can you be a good lil school boy and graduate high school. Thanks.

Thats fine, Im building a car, not talking bullshit like most guys. Whatever Ive said in the past Ive done or will do soon or in the near future. I am a car enthusiast and that`s hard for some to grasp and they resort to insulting me as if i dont know what im talking about. When I do something Im not goin to back out of it. Building cars takes time and money.

This is a go whether anyone wants it or not, I`m doin this for myself but I am just trying to do a favour to 240 owners everywhere who have wanted this for quite some time.Dickheads can back off.

On the other hand you dont like me because I dont take shit from people, if you talk to me like an asshole ill talk back to you like an asshole. If you treat me with respect youll have a friend instead.``

Notice how the people you keep arguing with, aren’t banned on any forum. Look up my accounts on Zilvia, FreshAlloy, my350z, g35driver, in fact any forum that I’ve ever been a member of. No bans. It’s only you Ahmed. Nobody likes you. And I’m not talking about SON, I’m talking about the human race. It’s not that you don’t belong here, it’s that you don’t belong anywhere. You’re a waste of carbon and hydrogen, and you’re wasting precious food, water and air with each day you spend among the living.

Keep re-registering, you’ll keep getting banned. You know why? Because you’re pathetic and we all hate you. Why would you want to keep coming back to a place where everyone hates you? Do you enjoy being insulted that much?

You’re a pathetic and useless fag who hurts deep inside. /thread.

Stop ruining threads as always. Do you have some kind of ego problem that I’m not a submissive bitch to a dickwat like yourself? Grow the fuck up and move on. Fobwall managed to! OF ALL PEOPLE. Fucken internet tough guy. There’s plenty of homos on church street who’ll bend over for you go and do that shit elsehwere…

Quite frankly, fine, no more son240 submissions for this product. Those that have interest can ask on the other forum. Those that have already submitted if you’re still interested that’s fine pm your contact information and I’ll help you out.

This group buy on son240 is over. Go ahead and ban me you faggot.

Note to self: re-register on son240 to use buy/sell section, don’t discuss 240s on son240.

I think guys like you on son240 just have dick-envy that I am achieving what I’ve said I would and you just dont like to see that, keep thinking i have taurus brakes, an automatic, ‘banned on every forum’ (lol), and all that other bullshit you’ve made up in your disturbed enclosed minds…