Interesting: Obama Underwrites Offshore Drilling

You read that headline correctly. Unfortunately, the Obama Administration is financing oil exploration off Brazil.
The U.S. is going to lend billions of dollars to Brazil’s state-owned oil company, Petrobras, to finance exploration of the huge offshore discovery in Brazil’s Tupi oil field in the Santos Basin near Rio de Janeiro. Brazil’s planning minister confirmed that White House National Security Adviser James Jones met this month with Brazilian officials to talk about the loan.
The U.S. Export-Import Bank tells us it has issued a “preliminary commitment” letter to Petrobras in the amount of $2 billion and has discussed with Brazil the possibility of increasing that amount. Ex-Im Bank says it has not decided whether the money will come in the form of a direct loan or loan guarantees. Either way, this corporate foreign aid may strike some readers as odd, given that the U.S. Treasury seems desperate for cash and Petrobras is one of the largest corporations in the Americas.
But look on the bright side. If President Obama has embraced offshore drilling in Brazil, why not in the old U.S.A.? The land of the sorta free and the home of the heavily indebted has enormous offshore oil deposits, and last year ahead of the November elections, with gasoline at $4 a gallon, Congress let a ban on offshore drilling expire.
The Bush Administration’s five-year plan (2007-2012) to open the outer continental shelf to oil exploration included new lease sales in the Gulf of Mexico. But in 2007 environmentalists went to court to block drilling in Alaska and in April a federal court ruled in their favor. In May, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said his department was unsure whether that ruling applied only to Alaska or all offshore drilling. So it asked an appeals court for clarification. Late last month the court said the earlier decision applied only to Alaska, opening the way for the sale of leases in the Gulf. Mr. Salazar now says the sales will go forward on August 19.
This is progress, however slow. But it still doesn’t allow the U.S. to explore in Alaska or along the East and West Coasts, which could be our equivalent of the Tupi oil fields, which are set to make Brazil a leading oil exporter. Americans are right to wonder why Mr. Obama is underwriting in Brazil what he won’t allow at home.

Well, it’s not like drilling here would bring any benefit to the country in jobs or oil. It’s much better to invest our billions helping some other county become an oil exporter.

/sarcasm

Whatever happened to being green? This is like lending money to drug cartels while “fighting the drug war” isn’t it? :wink:

^ It’s ok though, Brazil is so far away they’re outside the environment.

I actually designed the Petrobras Carolina Drill Ship slurry separation systems. :lol:

They have given us the go ahead on three massive orders which will all be the same system.

Shits keeping me employed! I hope I get to visit the rigs too, they say Brazil is beautiful.

wtf? How do we have any money to loan to anyone? Our debt as of right now is about $11,735,824,000,000 (from http://www.usdebtclock.org/ )

:io:

You fucks. First of all it’s a loan, we will make money off of it. Secondly, Brazil is sitting on an oil field that could render the middle east obsolete, which would do wonders for our economy and our national security. We don’t have any signs of that kind of a natural resource here so of course it is in our own best interest to help an ally develop theirs.

As evidence of this, I worked on a proposal this spring for the nitrogen plants that I build for Petrobras enhanced oil recovery R&D. I would then spend spend my raise here at home. What I mean is, this loan could come straight back home, right into our own community.

:lol: You fucking isolationists. :mamoru:

a quick search:

the Tupi field has between 5 billion and 8 billion barrels of recoverable light oil, (another article say 8 to 12 billion)

we use:

U.S. Petroleum Consumption [LEFT]19,498,000 barrels/day[/LEFT]

or just gas =

[LEFT]8,989,000 barrels/day (378 million gallons/day)

So how will this render the middle east useless? quick math shows thats 410 days worth of oil for the US if there is 8 billion barrels.[/LEFT]

:fry: Internet quote war time? :awdrifter:

Not only does Tupi have the potential of a 50% increase of the country’s oil and gas reserves of 14 billion BOE, but it has also opened up a new horizon for exploration in Brazil: it is a pre-salt discovery – held in rocks beneath a salt layer that, in places, reaches thicknesses of over 2,000 metres. Until now, Brazil’s reserves have been found in post-salt formations – above the salt layer.

Go ask the big oil companies about how their investments in a South American country’s oil business worked out.

A little refresher in case you don’t know anyone in big oil.

haha,
Im not totally trying to dissagree, but I guess the point Im trying to make is even if its 100B barrels, its not going to last long at all.

Right, because Venezuela and Brazil are the same country.

Fair enough. I guess all I’m trying to say is what’s good for Petrobras is good for me so I’m happy. :slight_smile:

Venezuela has always been a hard ass country to deal with.

They also don’t want any foreign workers on the rigs stationed there which sucks.

If you need a specialized engineer on the rig for 3 weeks they want you to hire one from their country…which won’t exist…so you’re really suck between a rock and a hard place. Luckily there is a group of younger (green) more liberal workforce there which are slowly changing things. They are starting to allow specialized workers temporary permits and what not, making it almost possible to operate over there.

FYI: Shell now has 3 rigs in Venezuela.

It’s probably a great idea, it just pisses me off that he can say it’s a great idea to drill offshore there but at the same time hold up drilling offshore here.