Obama clears way for oil drilling off US coasts

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100331/ap_on_bi_ge/us_obama_drilling

I’m for this as long as it is done clean and right.

If I’m not mistaken wasn’t there a strong democratic stance against this?

Discuss

The backlash was more to who was doing it and how they were going to do it. At least I trust Obama to keep it out of nature preserves and away from beaches, McCain/Palin were ready to throw oil rigs on Myrtle Beach.
If they implement it right, go for it. It’s still a garden hose for fighting a forest fire, but I suppose it can be symbolic

Drill baby drill!

itll be so many years before this even effects us.

I was shocked to see he went for this. Should be interesting to see how the far left feel about it, though I see Joe is already to fall in line behind Obama despite being so against this when the Republican’s were calling for it.

I was against it because they don’t give a shit about responsible implementation…they just want to cater to the oil companies, and because it won’t really do anything. Dems have no reason to sell out to them since all of the donations are going to the other side anyway.

Cosigned. I’ll even get out the DeWalt and start for you. :slight_smile:

Why are they not drilling on the West coast?

Don’t want to disrupt the San Andreas. :ohnoes:

Fixed. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, I heard Bush wanted to club baby seals while drilling for oil so… this is OK because Obama is saving baby seals.

I love the irony that the democrats were against it when the republicans wanted to do it and it took a democrat to get it through.

I don’t favor either side, it’s just funny and ironic.

FWIW I don’t think it matters who is in power I don’t think we will see politicians manning these oil rigs. The same people operating them would be there regardless of who is in power.

I could be a republican Senator!!!

Any word on allowing new refineries to be built? Isn’t that the #1 concern right now with oil supply?

I wonder how much money will go into this that could possibly go into alternative energy sources. I don’t think it’s a necessarily a bad idea because we really do need to have our own source of fuel, but these rigs will never stop pumping oil until it’s all gone and we’re in another clusterfuck of an energy crisis. It’s just going to distract people from realizing the problem that’s coming down the road for a little longer.

^ Paulo, no matter how much money we dump into alternative energy we still need to keep finding new sources of oil for the foreseeable future. There is nothing on the immediate horizon that will replace the energy we get from oil.

All I know is this just made my job a lot more secure. :snky:

Heh. Carbon sequestration. What a crock of shit…

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

Not to mention how our entire food system would collapse without oil to make synthetic fertilizers.

Agreed. Like I said, I’m just worried of how easily distracted we are of huge problems when we have a bandaid holding the country together.

And there are most certainly a number of things that we will not see turning away from oil anytime soon. Like cars for example. But the infrastructure that we use to power our homes can be greatly altered if we wanted to do it. Don’t quote me on this because I read it a while back, but when doing research for a turbine project I read that the amount of wind power that isn’t being harnessed in the middle of the country is more than enough to power this entire continent. If we dedicate resources into building that infrastructure, and developing newer more efficient technology to produce and store the energy that we’re letting blow by it could be a great benefit to us and the world alike.

Wind will be our generation’s 190/skyway but on a much larger scale of fail. You invest a ton of land for a tiny amount of energy when compared to any other power generating facility and people say, “well, it’s not like we’re using that land”. A couple generations from now we’ll want to use that land and our children’s children will be going, “why did my asshole grandparents think using up all our available land with these stupid windmills was a good idea?”.

We’ll keep burning oil until we start running out and it starts getting harder to pump out of the ground and costs start going up. When costs start going up sustainable technologies will start to become cost effective and we will transition. There is no collective human mind so we’re not going to collectively decide to sacrifice before we have to in the name of a future problem we might experience in our lifetimes. Politicians will pander to those of us who want to move towards it ahead of time, but there won’t be true change until there is a true reason to.

Once oil costs too much we’ll stop using it. Simple. I would say that an invisible hand will push us towards sustainable energy when we need it, but nobody believes in capitalism anymore. :tup: