Interesting read on air filters, K&N takes a beating

check it out
http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
what to you guys say

mesh screen @ 90 degrees to each other 4 L!!!

Wow, Gm makes one helluva dirt trapper

and the cheapo Purolators aint bad(i buy those)

I believe this

Seems like some solid results.

meh, i’d rather compromise on the side of engine longevity

K+N flows more…cause it filters less.

That makes sense to me :stuck_out_tongue:

kinda what i was thinking

http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/Spicer_files/image012.jpg

it would make sense that the filter with the most resistance would plug up the slowest.

holy shit gm makes a great filter… and here i spent way too much on a K+N so it could filter less

screw it. i’d rather have the horsepower

AFE seems to be by far the best filter in the test, given that it had the 3rd lowest DP at 350SCFM and also passed the third lowest amount of dirt. Granted its resistance increased exponentially with dust loading, but that just means you change it frequently.

The “No Brand” could be argued to be better as it has a slightly lower DP but it also passes slightly more dirt. Although it also had a much slower climb in restriction relative to how much dust loaded onto it. :shrug:

Either/or. :gotme:

Although I really don’t like that they stopped the test at +10 inches of water for each individual filter. Should have stopped them all at a single DP.

kinda makes me wonder about the perrin filter in my legacy… that one foam filter did not test well at all.

stocker here I come!

:lol: This is making me wonder if the filter in my wife’s protege has ever been changed. No seriously, I just waxed it for the first time in its life this weekend. Fill the gas right before you run out, change the oil somewhat near when you can remember when it was only a few hundred miles overdue, repeat. That’s been that poor car’s life.

:ohnoes: I think I’ll pick one up on my way home from work.

do a tune up before the snow comes^

I changed the oil and looked things over this past weekend. Oil pan is rotting (it is a Ford afterall) but I’ll wait and change that in the spring when I change the oil again. Coolant looked good, wires looked good, belts looked good. Just forgot the air filter. One of the brakes is dragging, but I’m sure they will all be dragging by spring. Her car has only passed inspection once without needing new brakes. Probably a result of her never washing it. (Seriously, maybe twice in 4 years.)

Now that we’re married I’ll take ownership of maintaining it. Gonna replace the oil pan in the spring and get 4 new caliper carriers and 4 new calipers if necessary. Then start washing the damn thing once in a while so stuff stops seizing/rotting. :hang:

As it should be. :shrug: It’s her job to sit there and look pretty and my job to take care of the cars. Now if I could just get her to bake me a pie…

wow!

on top of that… with the turbo i just bought, people have been sucking in the K&N filters! 6" inlets 4L

:jawdrop:

I dunno if you’ve been posting what you’re doing or not, but seriously? 6"? Forgive my ignorance, but does that mean that all the inlet piping is 6"?

my turbo inlet side is 3" in and 2" out
your 6" in must be like 5" or 4" out…are you making a monster

BTW Fry…just tell her you love her and you really miss some good old cooking…NOW MAKE ME A PIE!
lol, kinda…works for me :wink:

I’ll finish it up with “Who does the car maintenance bitch?!” :zong:

:whip: We both make the payments, so I have to adapt the original. :shrug:

6 in 3 out with the slip cover.

race cover diffuser

The AEM dryflows are a paper cone instead of wire mesh and oil… supposedly they flow just as well but filter 99.53% and as small as 1micron…

http://www.aempower.com/filtration.aspx

i’d like to see some independent tests as well though