Internet Problems

I mean I dont think I’m an idiot when it comes to computers but im having trouble. Well the internet stopped working last night. And I powered off the modem and the router and restarted computer which usually works. At startup it showed that i am connected at 100 mps. So I check the status of the LAN and packets are flowing both ways. Then a little thing pops up that said something about low connectivity. So I hit repair and it obtains a new IP, subnet mask and the rest. Now it shows its connected and shit but nothing internet wise works. the low connectivity thing is gone. I did a virus scan and other things and i can not get it to work. i reset the router and everything. My TCP/IP options are set to obtain automatically. IDK

any suggestions?

dsl or cable?

how are you posting if you have internet problems?

Cable, posting from a computer lab

what kind of router and cable modem?
can you ping yahoo.com from dos command line?

ps-I fix computers for margaritas :wink:

i dont know. we havent been back to home base in a while.
we can try the above and see what happens but idk. i dont think its a problem with the computer. im thinking router or something. its been acting pretty mckenna lately, i mean gay.

i bet you have a linksys… they’ve had known firmware issues with dropping the connection, yet looking as though it’s fully functional…

is it a linksys?

open your browser… connect to the router… if its linksys its going to be the following… http://192.168.1.1… you can find out by opening up dos prompt typing ipconfig and seeing what your gateway is… ie 192.168.1.1 thats the routers address connect to the router. Once your there see if the router is connected to the internet if your in oakland and have comcast it should be something like 24.131.xxx.xxx. if you can connect to your router without a problem theres no problem witht the router. call 1800 comcast and ask for help over the phone there pretty.

ugh so true… I never know when it goes b/c I live in a high rise where no one encrypts shit. I think half the time I’m connected it’s not even to my connection.

you gotta set your “Preferred Connection” in windows wireless config to fix that problem!

well i went in there last night and deleted all that were listed except for mine. that should fix it, now i’ll need to update the firmware

that’s not true… there are known issues with linksys wp54g type routers… everything is fine and appears fine, but teh interweb doesn’t work… if you simply click ‘save settings’ it will reflash the config on the routers and teh interweb will work… however, it will then drop teh interweb without warning at random intervals.

i have like 10 linksys routers and at least 5 of them all have the same shit wrong wtih them.

Yea it is a linksys, we just unplugged everything last night and let it chill, when we plugged it all in this morning it worked. :dunno:

welll…
i unplugged everything last night because the linksys (yes it is a lynksys) felt rediculously hot. And this morning just tried it again and it worked.
i connected throught to the router when i first tried fixing it. oh well at least it works now.
thanks guys

it’s the same problem…

when it doesn’t work next time… go to http://192.168.1.1 and just click ‘save settings’ and i bet the bitch works.

or just unplug and plug back in.

they didn’t fix that yet?

its good
thanks