Internet Sales Tax

So, now that all of our state tax returns are in, did anybody actually report any internet purchases?

There’s a new plan to start requiring internet retailers to charge sales tax.
http://www.buffalonews.com/145/story/322306.html

…making cash-strapped New York the first state to collect sales taxes directly from online retailers…

In the article they mention that $45 million was brought in last year on the honor system. I have spent thousands on internet purchases and may not have reported any of them.

I don’t see NY getting anywhere with this requirement. Courts have ruled several times in favor of internet retailers on this issue. There aren’t a lot of things that the left and right come together on but net neutrality has been one of them.

NY knows this, but needed a way to fill a hole in the budget without actually cutting anything or raising taxes. Now that the budget is passed and balanced when they don’t get any of this internet tax money they’ll just raise property taxes to pay for all their bloated programs.

Fuck them

Spitzer was going to go after this bigtime.

Since he’s gone, I don’t think the next guy will touch it.

The law is absolute bullshit, it puts internet retailers at somewhat of a disadvantage if you had to pay tax on top of shipping.

It will be very hard to go after people to pay the tax, people aren’t going to do it on the honor system.

I know people with amazon prime accounts who order fucking everything on amazon, including toilet paper, and pay zero tax.

yea… tax + shipping will make me not order online thats for sure but it wont hurt retailers unless a lot more states adopt it

I’m pretty sure this is illegal, since interstate commerce can only be regulated at the federal level.

never… f them. They get enough bullshit $$$ out of me.

I don’t know about you but I didn’t buy anything online…

besides, doesn’t it have to be over X amount to be charged anyway?

my tax program suggested $5 in internet purchases and i went with that