Invisble Fencing

Looking for some input on invisible fencing for my yard. My puppy has developed the habit of forcing her way out the door and taking off, and playing “come get me” with myself and my GF when we try and get her.

I’d love to do a normal fenced in yard, but the shape of my yard and the $$ are a little prohibitive at the moment. So I’ve been looking at doing the invisible fencing.

Which style is better? Wired or Wireless?
Comments/experiences with them?
etc?

thanks!

Dogs will learn the boundry pretty quick, and most will respect it, but a bunch learn that if they cross that line they get shocked…and it works both ways, so if they cross it once, they get shocked on the way out, and the way back in… so if your dog takes off after a rabbit and gets shocked, you can pretty much consider your dog gone, because they wont come back usually…

Yea, my dads husky was like that, that’s the only thing I was semi-concerned about.

We had one for many years. The took looked like we killed its mother at first, but once he got used to it, it was phenominal. Like previously mentioned, it works both ways, if he gets excited and chases something out, you can sure as shit bet he isn’t going to come back in to the yard on his own. It usually ended in us driving the explorer up and down the street with the hatch open and he would jump right in.

Ours was wired, and we never had an issue with it from a function standpoint.

Husky’s are just about the worst dogs to try and contain, so don’t worry too much there.

Invisible fences work, but they require training. You have to teach your dog the boundaries, or else they’ll just associate the yard with getting zapped and be afraid to leave the house. You have to walk with them along the boundaries, letting them get close enough for their collar to start beeping and you jerk them back. Then they’ll associate the beeping with getting shocked and turn around if they hear beeping. That way they’ll know that as long as they’re not beeping they won’t get zapped and thus won’t be afraid of the yard.

I don’t know about the difference between wired and wireless. My in-laws have wired. They like it. :shrug:

i dont know if i would trust a wireless system when i really need it…

if you are only worried about the puppy escaping, why not just fence a smaller area outside the door as an airlock type system.

i have one. IT works great…! and yes it does hurt.

I wish I could, that’s the issue. My side door goes to the driveway, and there’s no area to “fence off”. I have a HUGE side yard (across the driveway), but I’d had to fence the whole thing, and that’s probably 3-400’ or so of fencing…

My puppy is a Lab/Shar-pei mix (or so we think); and only like 40#s so I’m thinking it should be good. She has “taken off” where I think she may go through it, but normally I don’t think she would. Even when she leaves the yard, she doesn’t go more than 2 yards away.

Any difference between the wired systems? cheaper Vs more expensive?

I had the wireless perimeter one…
It worked OK…
I returned it because I was to lazy to train my dog.

She stays within a few houses and returns when called.

But, before I put it on here… I had to know what the max setting was like.
It hurt most of my arm, from my fingers to my elbow.

I have a wired one, and I never even collar my dogs anymore when they go out. Actually, I’ve had it for about 4 years and I haven’t collared them in pretty close to 4 years.

They learn the boundaries REALLY fast.

My parents just recently got one. The dog is a 10 year old American Yellow Lab. Big dog. Had to do the training with him, but he learned quickly not to go near the boundaries.

It’s a damn nice thing to know you can just toss the dog out the door and know he’s not going anywhere.

I guess after the part of the training where you shock him, he did not want to go outside much for a bit and only started wandering a bit further and closer to the boundaries more recently.