ipod mounting brackets/other car ipod ideas?

Next weekend I may finally hard wire an aux-in line to my OEM headunit so that I can use my ipod in the car (tapping into the casette circuits, since I only use the cd changer). I dont want to get an aftermarket headunit for many reasons- they look like shit in an otherwise integrated dash, invite break-ins, wouldnt utilize the SID info display, etc. The stock stereo has external amps and is really good for stock anyway.

Anyway, this aux-in will just be the equivalent of a headphone jack (not full integration with the head unit), so I will sill need to be able to have the ipod within reach if I want to change through songs.

If anyone has any experience with any of the various mounting brackets that are out there, or other mounting ideas I’d like to hear some ideas. I definitely dont want to stick anything permanently to the dash that would damage it. Ipod is an 8gb nano by the way.

Someone mounted theirs in one of the blank switch locations on the dash found in my car and it looked sick. I could probably find some pics of it if you want but I don’t know if thats an available option for you

I know newer bmw’s have the output right in the armrest

i just use the cupholder, theres about 100000 different companies that make holders that fit right in. Kinda specific to your make/model (dimensions of cupholder).

I saw those and I really like them, but my cupholder is about even with my back in between the seats, so you would really need to turn around to see the screen… I might do the armrest thing with a long enough wire to be able to lift it out.

post pic of your dash/interior… might generate some better ideas

I’ve been over on saabcentral all afternoon doing some research, and I have a plan now.

Pics up when its done :tspry:

i have mine in my glove box with a ipod holder i slip it into. i make a play list and put it in there

Lol my system is awesome. It just kinda floats around the car. Its always a mystery where the tunes went to!

I also used my cupholder, I’ll take some pictures in a few. Depending on how your center console is designed there may be a feasible way to custom fab something very simple to fit. Do you want to show off the iPod, or do you just want a secure mount away from view?

The key is whether your head unit allows full autonomous control of the ipod. whether you have this feature or not will tend to dictate how and where to mount it.

A bunch of people on the bonneville forum use a relay with the CD or Cassette circuit inside the stock radio and a switch and line out (headphone jack) run into the center console. This way they can use both the CD/cass unit while still having the Aux Input on the radio. In the Pontiac Radios, to use the aux input, the CD or Cassette has to be “running” inorder for the unit to not throw an error code and revert back to radio.

they make a cup holder cup that acutally made to hold an ipod

the mod that I am planning can be done with an additional switch, to allow the use of the cassette player or aux-in. However, since I never have and never will use the cassette player, I’m not going to bother. I wont need to have a cassette in the player to use the aux, either. Other than saying “Tape” on the SID, it should be transparent.

sounds haggard, but before i got an ipod interface for my h/u, i have this sticky pad that is meant to hold shit on your dash at walmart for like 3 bucks, worked flawlessly

i did the aux in the first week i had the car. i will take some pics of mine and post them up.
i put the switch and the jack in cup down by the lighter. they are on the side so you cant see them. then i moved the heated seat buttons to the left button hole (the one for 2 buttons), and mounted my satellite radio receiver in that hole. i just need to toss a support bracket under it. i will do that when i replace the broken toilet paper holder.

Nice…

I’m going to pick up the saab usa cell phone bracket dash piece that fits in with the dash, and attach an ipod cradle to that, so that its not permanent and looks OEM.

Might have to give you a call when I do the aux-in, as me and electronics are :tif: