car audio nerds- i have a crazy idea...

so this civic that i picked up has no headunit. it actually has a block off plate, which i kind of enjoy. no ugly HU ruining the sweet aesthetics of my 1995 civic dash (lol)

i have an ipod, so i dont use cd’s at all. i never listen to the radio, i cant stand it.

i was wondering if anyone had an idea for some sort of harness i could plug into the stock civic harness, to an amp, then run the wire to either the glovebox, or maybe somewhere i could just place the pod in a dock on under the dash, near the gear shift area

i would like to be able to use the pod’s controls (i have a hu that controls my pod in my other car and its really pretty annoying to use) and also charge my pod.

also no one would be tempted to smash my car to try to steal my hu, bc i dont have one (duh)

any ideas?

you cannot go directly from your ipod to your speakers. Some sort of amplifier and amp controller would be needed.

You could put in a cheapy 4ch amplifier and just use a headphone-2-rca adapter.

would the volume controls on the ipod actually work?

yes

Jam, is this one of the super shitty civics with just front speakers only?

it will work… but mess up and plug your ipod in on full volume and you’ll accidentally all of your speakers.

eh, that’s just a function of the gain on the amp tho, right?

Match the voltage out of the ipod to the gain on the amp. Should be ok then,

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Auto-Charger-iPod-White/dp/B00009KAPX
+
http://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-3-5mm-Stereo-Male-Cable/dp/B000V0G2C4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272571782&sr=1-1
+
Amp

Great Success

I spec’d that first component because the ipod dock connector has a line level output on it, which that thing routes through itself. That way you leave the charger plugged in, and the adapter plugged into the charger and the amp. Thus you only have to make one connection every time you get into the car rather than screw with two wires. 50% cleaner. :tup:

Could you not just splice the speaker wire into an 1/8" RCA cable. Of course that would not allow you to use the HU controls to control the iPod (aka USB)

the ipod alone is not enough to power the speakers directly.

in a non-audiophile world matching the levels to the amp will be fine. Honestly it will probably sound better than going through 90% of headunits because the DAC in ipods/iphones is really good.

ehhh i dont want all of those wires, i want something clean that looks just like there is nothing there at all… especially that cigarette lighter thing those are fugly.

if it is possible i really want to do this. i just got off the phone with dan hagen and he’s like “just buy a HU” WELL I DONT WANT A HU

You can get fuse panel adapters that will allow you to tap into your factory HU fuse and power a cigarette lighter plug, so that you can hide is behind the dash.

edit:

just get this: http://www.amazon.com/DLC-LP-413-CIGARETTE-LIGHTER-EXTENSION/dp/B0002ZPPKS

clip the male end off and wire is directly to the ignition wire that goes into the HU, then ground the second wire. Then plug the ipod charger into it, use some electrical tape to make sure it never falls out, then hide it behind your dash. Then your ipod will always charge.

alright i see where youre going with this…

If you want audio and power and two wires is too much you’re going to have to do it with FM. Not Frequency Modulation: Fucking Magic.

LOL FUCKING MAGIC!

LOL @ Fry

I was looking into doing this for the fiancee, but would probably go with an inexpensive head unit with USB.

mount the headunit in the glovebox.

problem solved. I only use headunits with usb that i can plug a thumb drive into, cds are dead.