Is it bad?

To take your mufflers off?

I was bored tonight and just took my mufflers off on the wrx…

It;s not loud at all,but it gives it some of that boxer sound.

I don’t plan on driving it like that for ever. just a day or two.

I can’t see it having any negitive effect on the car or performace…

Oh yeah,

I put the flame suit on already :wink:

lol.

1. how many mufflers are there? (serious question, i would have assumed only one)

2. if the muffler was stock, it will probably slightly boost your performance due to less exhaust restriction.

3. i cant imagine that it isnt substantially louder…

There are two mufflers on the 08 wrx…

and no, the car is not much louder…it just has a low rumble to it now.

I know, this is a dumb thread, just seeing if it could have any negative effects.

unless the o2 sensor is magically after the muffler(s), then no, i cant see any mechanically negative effects.

Have you just heard it at idle? The FD is quiet at idle. Not so much at WOT…

Yeah drove it for a bit…i gets louder once it gets in boost…but not an engine tone…more of a “air compressor” sound… the presure from the turbo.

i have a straight through 3" on the evo from the header back, no cat/muffler… its loud as fuck though lol

wow, just wow, did you even think… maybe i shouldnt post this…?

The turbo itself is a pretty good muffler, plus you have the cats… I bet it sounds pretty good.

My Esprit has a 3 inch straight exhaust. From turbo -> DP (no cat) -> muffler (Aeroturbine, completely straight though, don’t even know why they call it a muffler), it is completely open. Very burbly, poppy, and louder than stock. But to me, it sounds great. Some cars though need a certain amount of back pressure. May want to look into that. Otherwise, do as your little heart sees fit!

I don’t run mufflers on my Formula :slight_smile:

Its a tad loud…You might have issues with cops…since its not a domestic with siqqq V8

Mufflers are lame. I didnt know people still used them at all. If it sounds good with them off then i see no reason to put them back on.

no worries your all good

You seriously had nothing better to do?

That would worry me more then anything else here.

:picard:

what about back pressure? etc etc… i know bikes without a muffler tend to not last very long… i know a bunch of people who pulled the stock muffler off of their 02 R1 and never tuned it since… one of them blew up within 5k miles, the other… well he bought an exhaust for it before putting 1000 miles on the setup

This is a car forum…being bored and fucking with cars go hand in hand…

werd, same here

no mufflers on the GTO. A few members have heard it… I think it sounds good :slight_smile:

fuel inj needs no backpressure

I have an electric cut out at the DP… and I cant hear myself think when its open…