Is it just me or...

Well now there’s a thread about this genital shrinking wheather, my car won’t start anymore even with a boost. Before it wouldn’t even crank, i thought it was cuz i had an empty tank, went to get some fuel and tried to boost it, now it cranks but still won’t turn over. Best solution? block heater or? Btw it is an SR20DET and yeah it’s not made for this weather, i think the battery is still good because my lights still flip and all electricals still work so im asuuming maybe frozen fuel lines? im sure all you other sr20/ka24/ca18 guys are havin troubles with your cars. My car has been sittin outside all winter so i dunno what to do… any help would be appreciated thanks.

-Will

Sounds like what’s wrong with mine at the moment…

I’m guessing my aac is effed (worth looking in a fsm, trust me). I think the valve froze open and I praying I can fix it.

SR20DET not made for this weather???..What do you mean by this they forgot to make it winter ready or what. Its an engine , nothing special about it just cause its from JDM land doesnt mean it wont start in winter.

Get some good oil, a good battery and make sure its got a tune up like fuel filter, spark plugs and it should start just fine.

yah flavio is right, my aac valve is also fucked and i just hooked up battery to start it , ofcourse it didnt start right off the bat but after try number 4 i roared back to life. also this car has been sitting in edmonton outside for all the - “extreme” weather we`ve been having mind you i filled up the gas tank all the way to the top before parking it, oil change

well good news for me, i managed to start it yesterday, it ran just fine it was only -2 when i boosted it. now i can go park it in the garage i guess it was just too cold to start it in -35 after it’s been outside this whole winter :shock:
and i didn’t mean the SR20DET isn’t made for weather like this, its just never seen weather like this and i have a lawn mower battery, my car is fine im sure A LOT of people had trouble with their cars the day it was -40 regardless of what car they drive.

Were you driving it through the extreme weather or did it just sit? I’ve tried numerous times to start it (full charged red top & by boosting it) but to no avail.

And about flav’s comment… I understand the engines can run in this weather, its just not many engines work well in -35c weather, right?

no mine is sitting right now … and yah -35 is a harsh temperature on the motor. get like 10w30 synthetic that helps, also fix that aac valve issue i think thats your biggest issue, block heater which will keep your oil warm but if this doesnt help here an article from Nico that might

And here is the bible … well next to the FSM http://www.240sxtech.com/

From the EF (Engine Fuel) & EC (Emission Control System) section - Diagnostic Procedure #4 / Hard to Start or Impossible to Start when Engine is Cold:
** Fuel Pressure - Squeeze the line coming out of the filter and to the engine when cranking the car. You should feel pressure. No = Check the fuel pump and it’s circuit. Yes = Continue

** Check Air Regulator - When pinching the Air Regulator hose, does the engine speed drop? No = Check Air Regulator and circuit. Yes = Continue.

** Check IAA valve. When pressing accelerator pedal fully, can you start the engine? Yes = Check IAA valve and circuit. No = Continue.

** Check Injector - Remove crank angle sensor (distributor) from engine. Be sure to note the location and orientation of the rotor before taking the CAS out of the engine. It needs to go back the same way (Crank angle sensor harness connector should remain connected) Disconnect ignition coil harness connector. Turn ignition switch on (Do not start engine) When rotating crank angle senor shaft (distributor), does each injector make an operating sound? No = Check injectors and circuit. Yes = Continue

** Check Ignition Spark - Disconnect ignition wire from installed spark plug. Connect a good known spark plug to the ignition wire. Place end of spark plug against a suitable ground and crank engine. Check spark. No Good = Check ignition coil, power transistor unit, and circuits. Yes = Continue

** Check Spark Plugs - Remove spark plugs and check for fouling, etc.

** Check ECU Harness Connector

** Check ECU Power Supply and Ground Circuit.

** Try a known good ECU (The ECU may be the cause of the problem, but this is rarely the case!)