Is it legitimate for a company to do this

ya kinda the same for me, i took the day after xmas off, where i usually have to work that day, so that works out for me, my other days off i had to take were a random friday. then dec 31, and jan 2. so i have that 5 day weekend right there

I hate to brag(not really) but I think my factory/job is the only one I’ve heard of from anyone who is actually begging employees to work overtime and premium shifts. We are busier than ever. they actually upped our premium pay from 1 3/4 to double time. Unfortunately my dept. is the only ones in the factory that are not behind yet…

Who do you work for?

Derrick Corp.

UB has been doing it that way for a while.
At least you have your choice of using vacation or sick. We have to use vacation. I have 47 sick days built up I’d love to burn off.

So get “sick”. Or do they require a doctor’s note?

We have a couple days that we have to take off and one saturday we have to come in inorder to get another day off, but it allows us to shut down from christmas to after new years, so to me it’s worth it.

I agree that forcing you to take off is annoying, but I’d say it’s better than layoffs.

The last place I worked at did that (Astronics/LSI)… hourly people were given 2 weeks of vacation, but 1 week was mandatory, and scheduled for them for when the plant shut down during the 4th of July week, and Christmas/new-years.

They split the time off between Holiday pay and Vacation; something to do with accounting and taxes.

Mike Email the NYSDOL they will get back to you in a few hours … they are really helpful and will let you know everything… they will also give you a # to call them direct and talk more

Well, I know it is legal to so, but the 2 day notice kind of irrked me.

I will let it slide as hedging the P&L this way means that I won’t get laid off.