Is it legitimate for a company to do this

[FONT=Arial]This message is sent on the behalf of -deleted-[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]The North Atlantic Division is requiring that all employees take 3 off days off as all locations will be closed for a ½ day on November 26th, a full day on December 26th, and a full day on December 31st. This time needs to be submitted by tomorrow so it can be approved so that you will be paid for your time. You can take a vacation day, sick day or personal day on these dates – please be advised that these are unpaid holiday and you will be required to take one of those days. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]The other ½ day you will need to discuss with your manager and must take by year end.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Please inform your staff members immediately.[/FONT]

I don’t like it so how am I supposed to tell other people to go with it!

This happens all the time. I don’t see how they can’t do it. My place is having a plant shutdown so no one in the shop can come in for a week. Toyota did the same thing when I worked there.

I mean, if they don’t have the money, or business to pay people and keep them busy, why should they work?

But are you getting paid, or do you have to use your vacation time if you want to be paid?

Well I don’t work out in the plant so I’m not sure. I’ll try to find out though. IIRC, they did this before, and if you haven’t been here for more than 3 months, you didn’t get shit. But there have certainly been days where the shop shuts down, and if you don’t use vacation days, you don’t get anything.

same thing is happening to us. We’re likely going to have a mandatory 2-3 week shutdown at the end of the year. If you’re not using vacation or PTO, you’re SOL

we are doing the same thing, we have to take 4 days of PTO before year end

See i find it crap as I know how large we are and how well we are weathering this economy. I just got done reviewing the P&L, and where it is not great, it is not shitty.

Oh well, I guess that it sucks worse for some of the other people here, it is like a free day off too me. I just am not happy with the idea of corporate pushing things like this into my branch.

We were told that we had to use a personal day for some day this year. It was like hey, you have 5 days but 1 of them is already dedicated for 1 particular day. Like it or not.

It’s called a lay-off and yes, it is legal as long as it doesn’t violate any pre-existing employment contract.

Mike/TPGSR where do you work?

Rexel Electric

www.rexelusa.com

Im assuming you work for a publicly owned company…

Owed PTO serves as debt on a companies books and FY08 is closing quickly. If I were a CFO and looking for a way to make my bottom line look a little fatter than it actually is, especially in these economic times, this would be my first coarse of action. Im sure they are banking on most employees using these as PTO days especially around the holidays.

Now the fact that they did it so last minute seems a little unethical.

^^ perfectly said

All of our pto is accumulating with rollover. They will always have a load of it to carry.

I guess it is the last minute thing. Oh well, I will not be going in on Wed. at all.

What we usually do is send everyone home 2-3 hours early the day before a holiday. The company is deciding to take that luxury away by making them come in for a half day then take time where it would normally not be counted.

And if the economy stays where it is, guarantee that will disappear too. More and more companies are jumping ship to a flat amount system. You get xx days a year and thats all…

i bet some companies who are still doing well are using the market as an excuse to make drastic changes and cuts though

Oh yeah so true… But then again it always could just be future preparation. If they foresee this economic situation lasting any longer, a company would be wise to do it before the feel “crunched” to do it out of desperation…

See what we do, we are so large that these downturns don’t hurt too bad. It is the smaller local competitors that feel it worse. Yes we feel it, but it is something that we can weather with some minor adjustments. The last big hit in the 80’s actually helped the company grow as they bought out the small guys that were struggling. They just instated the rollover policy about two years ago, I don’t see them getting rid of that anytime soon.

Stick with it guys, best of luck to everybody that is getting shut down.

I keep hearing this over and over again, some jobs are shutting down for 2-3 weeks, and if you don’t have paid time off you just collect unemployment.

I feel somewhat lucky, we contract for the government, and when there is no work, they pay us and send us home. Otherwise I would be in a huge crunch…

same things happening to me for Friday. Me and one other guy i work with didnt want to use up any personal time for the day, but everyone including my shop chief took off so we were kind of forced to do the same. Oh well the fact that they’re “making me” fly in a helicopter to Fort Drum tomorrow makes up for the lost leave time … and y not have a 4 day weekend