is RAM universal?

I have a few old desktops laying around and one of them has a 256 (maybe 512, i forget) ram stick in it, and the gf’s pc is slow as hell, so I want to reformat the hd and reinstall windows and put that ram in it. do I have to do anything special?

thanks

No.

There is type (SDRAM, DDR, DDR2, DDR3, etc), speed (PC2100, PC133, etc) and pin size.

If you both have older PCs then you might be ok. Best idea is to download CPUz and check the ram in the current system.

If you have PC2100 running in the PC now and ad a stick of PC1600, the fast one will run only the speed of the slowest stick.

DDR3 will fit in DDR2… but generally no you can’t

If they are running the same type of ram you can toss more in… and being that old to have 256… you’ll know if it won’t fit in lol

and no … it will automatically recognize more ram. when you turn it on… DON’T PUT IN RAM WHEN ITS RUNNING

Thats a myth. Lol

ill get the numbers off of the available ram tomorrow, so far the two towers I have use the same shape memory. Ill download cpuz onto her computer tomorrow also. im pretty sure I remember seeing ddr1 or 2 on the ram I have seen.

if the ram type is the same (ddr) will 256 plus a 512 run any faster than just the 512? it seems like it would since there would be more available.

damn I need to learn this stuff. of course I signed up for computers 101 only to find out all that is taught is microsoft office programs. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: and i can only test out of it if i sign up for the next course, which doesnt fit into my current schedule. I was hoping I could learn something useful, 90% of that class will be redundant.